Which part was responsible for this MAGICAL sound?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dennis B, Jun 29, 2002.

1. Dennis B

Dennis B Stunt Coordinator

Last week I went to my dealer to audition speakers - I'm upgrading to one of the Nautilus as soon as I've saved enough, and being a nice customer of hers [​IMG], she set up a separate room for me to be comfortable moving speakers around.
    So I walk in the room and there is a pair of 602S3s, N804s and N803s standing there, and the 602s are connected to Wadia's old 830 CD player through an Electrocompaniet's ECI-4 integrated amp, balanced connections all the way.
    I thought I'd give the new 602 series 3 a listen, since they were already connected, and then I could move on to what I came for.
    [​IMG] HOLY COW!
    I just couldn't believe the sound that came out of those 602s, and I can guarantee it wasn't because of the 602S3s versus the 602S2s I had at home! Moving on to the 804s and 803s, it just moved towards the sky, and while it was a great speaker comparo, I left without knowing exactly where so much difference came from when listening to the 602s.
    After all this story :b, my question is was this just an awesome setup or was one of the parts mostly resposible for the amazing sound? Was it the balanced cables, was it a great CD player or was it the Norwegian smooth-sounding amp?
    I realize Electrocompaniet's products are very rarely discussed in this forum, but if anyone could take a shot my question, I'd appreciate. I'm using a Rotel amp at home, BTW. Thanks.

2. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

I'd guess a combination of source, amplification and most importantly room.

Sorry for being so vague, but the right room can make even mediocre systems sound incredible and vice-versa.

Probably a nice room without too much in it other than a seat or two with some treatments on the side walls and the back wall?

3. Dennis B

Dennis B Stunt Coordinator

John,
    Actually that was the first thing I thought about, but my dealer took down all room treatments she used to have because customers were complaining that when they took the gear home, it didn't sound the same... [​IMG]
    For one thing the room was large, maybe 15 x 25 ft, which helps a lot, but there was a glass window behind the stuff and the walls had nothing on them. The carpet was probably the only thing one could consider a 'treatment'...

4. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

sounds like a pretty live room then. especially the window behind the speakers. That might give you some what of a open/deep sound because of the reflections.

Then again I don't really know, I know basics of room treatments/accoustics. There are pros around here that can explain more.

But its all a combination...room, speakers, source, amp. In order of importance.

5. Sihan Goi

Sihan Goi Second Unit

Your dealer has a great combination of gear that brings out even a mid-range/budget speaker like the B&W 600 series I guess. Electrocompaniet abd Wadia are way up there in the electronics department.

6. Joseph_W

Joseph_W Stunt Coordinator

Dennis,

This is probably heresy, but I have a theory.

I think some of the difference was the fact that "she" set you up in your own room with all this great gear. You were feeling good and somewhat excited I bet. (I would have been!) I think our senses are at their best when things are right. Food tastes better with great company and a great view.

Of course, this won't make bad good, but it could make good even better. (And sure, room treatment and better gear makes a different, too.)

Joe

7. Oswald Pascual

Oswald Pascual Second Unit

I love my B&W's!
    [​IMG]