What's new

Which Paradigm's for Side/Rear Surrounds... (1 Viewer)

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
I am a week away from going from 5.1 to 7.1 thanks to my recent upgrade to an Outlaw 950 pre/pro, an additional amp, and 4 used speakers I recently picked up.

I will be picking up a used Rotel (2 x 200wpc) amp to power my Monitor 7 front speakers. I will use my Carver (5 x 125wpc) amp to push my CC-350 center and 2 side surrounds and 2 rear surrounds. I have 6 speakers with which to chose from for my surrounds: a pair of Monitor 3's, a pair of Mini Monitors, and a pair of ADP 170's.

I realize that the ADP's are not from the Monitor line, but they sound pretty close!

My room is currently 20' x 24' but will soon be split to include a dedicated HT room that will be 11' x 24'. Does anybody have a clue or a suggestion as to what array of speakers will sound the best for 7.1??

JamieS

Stunt Coordinator
I'f it were me I'd put the Monitor 3s on the sides, the Minis in the rear and sell the ADPs for money to buy more speaker wire. I don't think the dipole diffusion of the ADPS is worth the differnce in sound over the Monitors bu that is just me.

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
That's what I was thinking, Jamie.

I've been experimenting with the different surround speakers in my current 5.1 configuration and found that I don't really care for the ADP dipole sound.

I may even sell or trade my Monitor 3's for some Mini Monitors so I would have 4 identical surround speakers. I have often said that I went overboard when I bought the Monitor 3's for surrounds. After hearing the Mini's, I feel even stronger about that!! The smaller Mini's would really be better for my future plans and they sound really good!!

Thanks for your input!!

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
I ended up trading my Monitor 3's for Mini Monitors. I now have 4 Mini Monitors for my side and rear surrounds.

The ADP 170's are for sale for $200 if anyone is interested!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks