Which Paradigm to get?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Al Jefferson, Mar 16, 2002.

1. Al Jefferson

Al Jefferson Auditioning

Okay, I just ordered my subwoofer (HSU VTF-2). Now I have to decide on the other speakers. I went to my dealer today and I can get a pair of Titans, a pair of Atoms and the CC 170 for $540. Or, I can buy a 3 year old set of Monitor 7's, CC350, and Mini-Monitors for $800. What do you guys recommend. Should I go for the new speakers from the dealer or the used pair?

2. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

I would get the Monitors. They are better speakers.
    I have the Mini Monitors and CC-370 up front and the Titans for the rears. I did some comparisons between the Minis and the Titans. The Minis have a better Midrange while the Titans sounded a bit harsh up high. The Performance series 3/4" CMC tweeter does not have as good of a range as the Monitor's 1" PTD.
    As far as them being used, Paradigm builds a very solid speaker that should work perfectly for many years. I don't think you have anything to worry about with 3-year old speakers. They come new with a 5-year warrenty. Will the rest of that warrenty be transfered to you?

3. Alan Pummill

Alan Pummill Screenwriter

I second Brian's opinion!![​IMG]

4. EricHaas

EricHaas Supporting Actor

I third.

5. Matt_Sulli

Matt_Sulli Agent

i also agree, monitors are simply a better speaker

6. Mark Hobbs

Mark Hobbs Stunt Coordinator

I have the Titans due to budget constraints, but I did an A/B comparison with the Titans and the minis and the Titans and the Monitor 7s. The main thing I noticed is you get a wider and fuller mid-range sound from the monitors than the Titans.

I disagree about the Titans sounding harsh "up high". The Titans sound great and are an incredible value for $200. But if you can afford the monitors, they will definitely sound better.

I don't think speakers being used is a big concern, if you trust the person you are buying them from.