Which Paradigm subwoofer to purchase?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rich Dunmore, Mar 1, 2002.

1. Rich Dunmore

Rich Dunmore Extra

I recently bought the following:

Paradigm Reference 60's for mains

Paradigm Reference 20's for surrounds

Paradigm Reference center channel

Powered by a Denon 3802.

Due to budget constraints, I am still using my Sony subwoofer but I think it is time for an upgrade. I'm considering the Servo 15 and the PW-2200 from Paradigm. My budget is around $600 US but I could stretch it if the Servo is worth the money. I live across the river from Windsor and have a friend that goes to Toronto every few weeks so my question is what can I expect to pay in Canadian dollars for each of the subwoofers and is the Servo worth paying more for? Just to confuse things, can you recommend any other subwoofers that would complement my system within my allotted budget?

Thanks.

Rich

2. Rich Dunmore

Rich Dunmore Extra

Sorry, I posted this in the wrong area. This is my first post, I must have gotten nervous. [​IMG]

3. Steven Simon

Steven Simon Producer

Steven Simon
    NO Problem.

I will move this to the correct area...

Welcome to the forum......

4. Jerry Klawiter

Jerry Klawiter Screenwriter

Rich,

With those speakers the PW2200 would match very nice.

You may need to search around some to find one at your price, The 2200 is a solid sub,

Should be able to find a good used 2200 at $500

There was also a Paradigm Ref servo 15 for sale a few days ago at $750. This included the x30 crossover.

with your Denon you could probably do without the x30 and

sell it on ebay for $120-$140.

Now you have the servo in your price range.

But the seller does not wish to ship this sub

out of NJ, I also referred a friend to it.

Just check the Hardware For Sale/Trade area.

Good Luck

I should also say I think the seller is Steven Simon see the post above.

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Not that there is anything wrong with Paradigm subs, but if my budget was ~$600 for a sub, I would (and am) strongly be considering one of the new SVS subs. There is no real reason to stick with Paradigm for your sub, just because everything else is Paradigm. I can't sing the praises of SVS personally, because I don't own one. My current setup is all Paradigm with a Yamaha YST-SW500 sub. I love the Yammie because it has a remote to control it, 3 memory settings for x-over, vol and phase, and is relatively small with it completely rolling off just below 25Hz (not exactly bad). I'm looking for a bit lower extension (down to 20Hz would be nice), so I had been considering SVS, and now that they have the new versions coming out, I think I am ready to pick one up. Would like a demo, but just based on reviews, I don't think I'll have much to worry about. Just my .02
    Welcome to HTF.[​IMG]

6. phyllis

phyllis Agent

Rich i was in the same situation a few week ago.I purchased the servo 15,it was much tighter on music than the 2200.FOr home theatre it is almost just as good,Price wise it is better for you to get an svs subwoofer,because you live in the U.S.I paid $1500 for the servo which is about 950 U.S.If you really want a servo though i think another member is selling one for 800.Look at the for sale section.

7. MarcVH

MarcVH Second Unit

Rich, for what it's worth I have pretty much the same setup

(3802 receiver, Studio/60 mains, haven't upgraded to the Studio/20 surrounds though) and I decided to go with SVS. I'm sure Paradigm would be good too, and you're ideally located for either -- Paradigm because you can drive to Canada to get it cheap, SVS because you're close to Ohio so shipping will be cheap (but not in Ohio, where sales tax would be charged.)

8. james e m

james e m Second Unit

Rich, you don't need to go to Toronto for good deals on Paradigms. I live in Michigan too and all you need to do is go about 20 minutes from the tunnel to Live Wire Audio, it's an easy drive. That's where I got my Paradigms at, check out Live Wire Audio email Bob with your questions, he's a great guy. Tell Bob that James M. from Michigan sent you. His email is on the page. Have fun!
    james

9. Jeff Massey

Jeff Massey Agent

Hello Rich,

I would also suggust Live wire. It a nice store with a great staff of people! I live in downriver and went over there after christmas. I listend to both; the servo is an excellant sounding sub (2200 is good). I would go that route if the price was right. I ended up buying a SV 20-39cs+ (still in 45 day trial period) and think it matched up real well with the servo (2200 not in same league).

Good luck

Jeff

10. Shane G

Shane G Agent

I recently purchased a PW2200 for $730.Can.

Most places I phoned in B.C. initially gave me a price around $1,000.Can.

I specially ordered my sub in direct from the factory, subsequently the dealer gave me a better price, because of the reduced handling costs, etc. Maybe they could swing a similar deal for you. You might just have to wait a little longer.

Its a great sub, really adds impact to movies and music. No more need for tactile transducers in the couch. Significant bass improvements to the bottom end of my Monitor 70P's, and they are no slouch in the bass department.

I do wonder however, what the Servo15 would have sounded like.

11. Bob Br

Bob Br Agent

Rich,

Quotes for Paradigm for comparison purposes from a Canadian dealer and approximate US equivalent.

PW2200 CN$750 US$475

Servo-15 Veneer w/ X-30 CN$1400 US$890

12. Lee Frisby

Lee Frisby Auditioning

I have a 2200 and I am very happy with it. I got it for 800.00 CAN. That's all my budget would allow me to spend on a sub. I didn't want to hear the servo 15 because I knew if I did I would want it, but I wanted to stay married too!!!

13. Herb Kane

Herb Kane Screenwriter

Hi Rich:

If you strike out in the Windsor area (and I heard they are indeed good to deal with), you CAN get the Servo 15 for $1200 CAN in this area without the XO. If your friend travels to Toronto, try Fairview HiFi in Burlington, he goes right past it on the highway. Their ph# is (905) 681-1872 they are great to deal with -- ask for Paul.

I don't know how capable your Denon is, but I would hold off on the X30 for now and see if it is indeed required. If so, buy it later.

I purchased a Servo last year and I'm very pleased with it. SVS was easily eliminated due to our present Peso like dollar situation....

Good luck,

Herb.