Which Panasonic Player is the new XP30/RP82?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Eric A, Mar 2, 2004.

1. Eric A

Eric A Second Unit

Pretty self explanatory. Which, if any, of the current Panasonic players out there on the market now are the equivalent of these players? I am not concerned about universal players although DVD-A would be nice. I am looking for the best video possible rivaling the RP-82/XP30. Thanks.

2. Charles Gurganus

Charles Gurganus Supporting Actor

There are NO current Panasonic models that can touch the older ones using DCDi. That is why everyone wants the older discontinued ones.

3. Tim Jin

Tim Jin Supporting Actor

Panasonic no longer makes high end players anymore, which is very disappointing. From my experience, I have to rank them along with Apex or any other cheap brand.

I have an older Panasonic player (A120) and I've had no problems with it. I had a newer Panasonic (8 months) and that player is trash.

I no longer will buy another Panasonic because they have gone so cheap that its not worth it.

4. Charles Gurganus

I noticed my Pany A110 is on the GOOD list with no chroma bug. Heck I may move that back to the main system and try its interlaced output (s-video) to my Pioneer 533HD5 TV. I thought it always had a sharp picture.

5. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

Panasonic stopped making the great quality Faroudja-based models over a year ago, the last great ones were the XP30 and XP50 models. Now you have to really hunt at Sharper Image stores or on EBAY for them. The current and upcoming Panasonic models use a cheaper de-interlacer so they aren't any better than other cheap players. The only new models under $300 close to the older Faroudja-based models are the Denon DVD-910 and the Mitsubishi DD-8040.

6. Eric A

Eric A Second Unit

Thanks guys for the replies. I will begin searching for a XP-50 or XP-30. I have found 2 of them at my local Sharper Image but they will not sell them as they are displays for their in-store infomercials. This is the part I enjoy though. The thrill of the hunt and not paying a premium. If I am patient I will run across one at a dealer in my travels and get it for a great price.[​IMG]

7. Jim J

Jim J Second Unit

I don't know if I would call them high-end, just because of the inclusion of DCDi.

I'm a not-so-proud owner of the highly regarded CP72. It has already been fixed once ~$75 out of pocket, and I get the feeling it is about to go again. Last night it was choking on a pretty clean, 2nd-time-in-the-player copy of Finding Nemo.

Great picture from these players, but the reliability leaves a little to be desired.

8. Charles Gurganus

Jim I agree on the reliability issue. My A110 that I paid $350 for when it came out, crapped out just out of warranty. I paid about $100 to fix the darn thing. It has been fine since then though as I have used it for 3 or 4 years since the repair. There was even a lawsuit about this player that IF I could have found the repair bill, I could have gotten my money back. It was the ONLY receipt I couldn't find. I had the original receipt but without the repair bill receipt, I was out of luck. I even called the panasonic repair place somewhere in TN but they stated they didn't keep that information (yeah, right).

I think the A110 was even better built (heavy) than the RP82/CP72/xp30/xp50 everyone is creaming for.

9. MattWel

MattWel Stunt Coordinator

I have heard of spindle motor failures with the RP62 and RP82, but have heard nothing about failures such as this with the XP30 and XP50.

10. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

Thats correct - the defective spindle motor design was only with the earlier models like the RP62,RP82,CP72. The later XP30 and XP50 had a different motor design that has no reported such failures - its very reliable.

11. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

What about the Yamaha C920 and C940's? 5 Disc carousel versions with the same de-interlacer but burr brown DAC's for audio.

12. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig

Actually, though it's *really* old news now, the "spindle motor problem" was the reason RP82's were delayed in being released, and most were apparently fixed before being sent out. But not all... However, I blabbed and blabbed when the first 82's came out complaining about spindle motor issues, including with the early unit I got, and nobody except one other person, on several well-known major HT forums, said they found a problem. So there you go, beware of blind new-owner hype... I stuck to my guns and exchanged for a new 82 when I couldn't stand it any more...

FWIW, the XP30/50 have other quality of construction issues, but they are sure better than the current Panny models. Spindle motors are easy to replace, and not that expensive, could be worse. Panny has always had weak spindle motors compared to some other major brands, and everybody's construction is getting cheaper and cheaper as DVD players are now considered to come on a roll.