What's new

Which panasonic Blu-ray player (1 Viewer)

Hi everybody I was wondering .... I currently have a RX-v2400 without HDMI and was wondering which of the new Panasonic Blu-ray players to get .... I plan to upgrade my receiver when my wife allows me .... Also, I have a 50 in panasonic plasma that is about 2 years old and is 720p and was wondering if I will notice a difference with blu-ray over regular dvd .... by the way I sit about 15 feet away from the TV .... thanks Mike

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
Hi Michael, at 15' viewing distance, your eyes will not be able to resolve the difference between 480p and 1080p. The only major benefits for purchasing a Blu-Ray Player in your system may be the new audio formats, however your AVR does not have HDMI so you would need to use the multi-channel analogue 5.1 inputs.

Here are some articles on viewing distance:

- 1080p Does Matter - Here's When (Screen Size vs. Viewing Distance vs. Resolution) » CarltonBale.com
- Sound & Vision Magazine - Maxing Out Resolution

What are your primary motivations for purchasing Blu-Ray at this time? Is there a specific reason you are looking to purchase Panasonic over other brands?

Cheers,
Alon

Well there are some movies I'd like to purchase and I don't think it makes sense to buy on regular dvd if I'm going to switch to Blu-ray... So, I guess it's like why not go ahead and switch to a blu-ray player and buy the movies on Blu-ray instead .... Basically I'm thinking I would probably switch to blu-ray eventually then why not sooner than later....

With regards to choosing the panasonic it's because of the good reviews and the price is good... I've never been a big fan of sony because I feel that your paying for the name ..... and I tend to stick with brands that I feel give me the best bang for the buck ...... I'm not necessarily against listening to other peoples experience and never hurts to make an informed decision.... Mike

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

The current Panasonic and Sony BD players are very close in price, features and performance. Both brands seem to be getting good reviews.

Personally, I bought a Sony BDP-S350 because it was available at a better price than the comparable Panny 35. I've had good luck with both Sony and Panasonic SD-DVD players, so feel comfortable with either brand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RobRWA123
Recent bookmarks