What's new

Which PAL dvds smoke their NTSC counterparts PQ-wise??? (1 Viewer)

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Hi y'all. I just recently got an optoma h57 projector with the matterhorn chip which will play PAL natively. I am getting the Oppo DVD player that outputs PAL at 576P, not just converts to NTSC so I can finally see my PAL discs in all their full res. glory. I have read some comparisons on DVDBeaver, (for example, the LOTR extended editions supposedly all look better in PAL) and I was wondering what other titles look noticeably better?

Thanx!!!! D

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
True Craig,

But I have gotten used to it. On my Buffy sets, Xander sounds a bit odd but everyone else is ok. And the music is approximately 1/2 step higher in pitch. Used my gtr. to find out. But with my new 576P projector at 50hz. no more 3/2 pulldown. Should be interesting....

:) d

RickardL

Supporting Actor
Speaking of Star Wars, I can recommend "The Phantom Menace".
The R2 has significantly less ringing/edge enhancement. It is there but it is less...

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Just a few off the top of my head...

UK R2/PAL "The Graduate"
UK R2/PAL "Belle de jour" (only in boxset)
FR R2/PAL "The Wind Will Carry Us"
UK R2/PAL "Repulsion"
FR R2/PAL "Francois Ozon Coffret" (each film's transfer is an improvement over its NTSC counterpart, and available individually)

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member

And we should all remember that only applies to films.

Videotape-originated material, which covers a lot of television, is not affected by PAL speedup.

Also, I thought I read somewhere that if film elements (i.e. not a standards-converted video master) are used in making the PAL master, then the master can be "pitch corrected."

Personally, I don't notice the speed-ups much unless I happen to have an NTSC version of the same title.

JoeJ

Agent
I know that a lot of animation discs look better in PAL, and from looking at screencap comparisons, it does seem to be the case. The images on the Beauty and the Beast and Mary Poppins Collector's Editions looks less compressed, for example. Grainy transfers for animations have been known to be less grainy in Region 2; the old 1 disc edition of Pocahontas supposedly looks better than the Gold Collection Region 1 release (though most likely nowhere near as good as the new digitally sourced Special Edition transfer), as does The Hunchback of Notre Dame (which I can judge looking at screencap comparisons).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks