What's new

Which out-of-print DVDs do you regret not buying? (1 Viewer)

Kristian

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kristian
What discs do you wish you had bought before they went OOP? This isn't limited to DVDs; if there's an OOP LD or VHS you wish you had picked up, feel free to mention it.

My greatest DVD regret is not picking up Walt Disney Treasures - The Complete Goofy when I had the chance. There's actually a little story behind this, so bear with me.

Sometime in January 2003, I go to The Disney Store to buy Walt Disney Treasures - Mickey Mouse in Living Color - Volume 1. When I go to pay, the cute cashier asks me if I want to also pick up The Complete Goofy. Maybe her beauty affected my cognitive skills, but I said "not now, maybe later". Later never came, as I never saw the DVD again after that. I had the money to buy it, which makes me feel even guiltier about it. After this fiasco, I swore that I would never wait until later to pick up a Walt Disney Treasure (I managed to get all four of the current wave before it was too late, thankfully).

Another one I regret not buying is Disney's Pinocchio. I know it was a barebones DVD, but I really love the movie and I wish I didn't have to wait a few more years for the Platinum Edition to arrive.

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor
I wish Disney would NOT release things and then yank them off the shelves a few months later. That is such a pain. I realize it is their business, and their decision, but honestly, it is highly annoying!

Jeff D Han

Supporting Actor
I didn't get Sid And Nancy Criterion DVD in time,
and I was really bummed out about it. Fortunately
I was directed to a guy who wanted to sell his mint
condition copy of it, and now I'm happy again.:D

If there is something you are looking for, there
is a good chance you'll be able to find it through
this or other DVD/ movie boards.:emoji_thumbsup:

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor

Ditto, I mean I did get one. While I was there, I knew it was OOP and they had 2 copies. I could have bought another one and at least sold it for about triple what they were asking.

The other is The Killer CC. I know there are better versions out, but I had the opportunity to buy it for $29.99.

Mike Wadkins

Supporting Actor
the anchor bay evil dead 2 tin the only version i dont own
i have every ed dvd and laser from all over the world bar this
and the criteron silence of the lambs

the only other thing i want is the goldeneye dts laserdic and the jap phantom menace laser

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I regret not picking up the Davy Crockett 2-disc set.... now, I have every Walt Disney Treasure except that!

On the other hand, I'm glad I picked up the Universal Monsters 8-disc, 5 of the Image Chaplin DVD's (4-disc set and The Circus), the many Disney DVD's, and some Fox 2-discers before going out of print.

I've been holding out for a re-release of the 1982 oddity Liquid Sky, which has become a rarely listed $70-$90 eBay wonder.

Must've picked up and put down the same $25 copy on at least a dozen trips four years ago!

Brian W

Stunt Coordinator
Double Indemnity (OOP Universal release, though not great, better than nothing until they get around to giving this the transfer it deserves) and Duel In The Sun (OOP Roadshow version by Anchor Bay I understand was over and beyond). Have not heard ANYTHING about the current MGM release, I am justified in being always hesitant regarding MGM. Anyone have a review?

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie. The HMV by Time Square had a rack of them for 8.99, and I didn't pick it yup for whatever reason. And I've since ALWAYS regreted that.

I guess I should enjoy that LaserDisc while it lasts.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
Ditto on MST3K. I bought mine for $9.99. I should have bought all 30 copies!

Shawn_Sek

Stunt Coordinator
Rocky Horror Picture Show (2 disc) im not even a big fan of the movie but i want it.

Passion Of Darkly Noon (French) although that was way before i was even into DVDs and certainly not educated on DVDs from other regions.

oh yeah, 100 more copies of Salo (Criterion) for resale.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

DVDBeaver has a comparision between the two.
iirc the new MGM version is brighter with more (vivid?) contrast but is slightly cropped/zoomed in.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks