Which OS for Radeon AIW?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Ford, Oct 27, 2002.

1. Mike Ford

Mike Ford Extra

I have been setting on various PC parts for months, and I think I am just about to hit critical mass and actually put the system together. I have a few motherboard options I could go with, but my current plan is to use a Iwill KK266R (I have two 80 GB drives for the raid) with about a XP1600 cpu. My main question is which OS works best with the Radeon All in Wonder card?

I have a few legal copies of W98se, and kind of like it, but I also have a legal XP pro I could use, but can't say I currently like.

BTW I know the card is a little old, and that it doesn't look too happy with any kind of HD TV, but I plan to just play back DVD to a 31" direct view monitor, and do that time shift TIVO stuff the AIW comes with.

2. Scott L

Scott L Producer

I have a Radeon 7500 in XP Pro and have had no graphics problems. I wish I had an AIW though, I'm also interested in how the capping features work in this OS.

3. Mike Ford

Mike Ford Extra

Funny my Radeon AIW is in the XP box because it seems to be the most compatible video card I have around, BUT I haven't installed any of the AIW software, and that is what I worry about.

Since my personal preference is to use 98se, maybe I should rephrase the question to, does the AIW stuff work well in 98se?

4. peter m. wilson

peter m. wilson Stunt Coordinator

Hi Mike,
    i would say bite the bullet and go with XP. i understand that you are comfortable with win98 but support for that OS from component manufacturers decreases daily.

Winxp has apretty short learning curve and in no time you will love it.
    if you are planning todo the Tivo thing, make sure you designate an ntfs hard drive as you won't be restricted to a 4gig per capture ceiling of a fat32.

i have the aiw8500dv and love it with xp.

peter m.

5. Mike Ford

Mike Ford Extra

My experience so far is that XP has WAY more compatibility problems, but it is improving fast. All my nifty old hardware that works great on 98, much approach with care on XP.

Hmmm that sounds too extreme, fact is I have had very few problems with 98 or XP, but more with XP. By more I mean the first like 4 network cards I tried with XP were totally flakey or just didnt' work at all, and my first video card only sort of worked, a Gforce3 ti 200. Weird thing is I bought a cheap Voodoo 3 and it seems to work FINE with XP. Hmmm, could be a pattern, network card that is working now is a $1.99 Realtek.

6. Brian Ruth

Brian Ruth Supporting Actor

Scott -- I have an AllInWonder 7500 on XP Home Edition, and the capping works great. I also can watch TV from my bed (my computer is in my bedroom), so that's nice too. It even comes with a neat RF remote.
    As you could probably tell, I'm quite happy with mine. [​IMG]

7. Mike_G

Mike_G Screenwriter

Mike
    XP seems to be the best OS for pretty much anything these days [​IMG]. I had ME on a second drive as a "fall-back" in case something on XP didn't work, and I recently formatted it since I don't need it anymore.
    Mike

8. Alan Curry

Alan Curry Agent

Iwill KK266R? If you haven't purchased it already then I wouldn't use it. As a KK266plus owner, I would never own a KK266 anything ever again. Or matter of fact anything using the VIA KT133A chipset. This chipset is pretty buggy and I've had to keep current on the VIA 4in1 drivers on my Win98 system to keep it stable. Also, I had to flash the bios due to a USB bug. I have a ATI AIW Radeon in the box and I haven't had trouble with it. I would probably go with XP for the operating system. or better yet... Linux [​IMG]

9. Mike Ford

Mike Ford Extra

Actually the Iwill board I have, and its already in a case, just not finished yet, is a KK266R+. I don't have a problem with the updates, and a good faq exists.
    http://www.x-faqtor.com/KK266.htm
    I tend to do all the updates, flash bios etc as soon as the board is booting and ehternet working. I have learned to follow the faq instead of shoot from the hip on changes.
    Also part of the equation is that I am getting to know 98se pretty well, have half a dozen legal copies, and play this system as a fairly limited function, ie AV stuff. I have a bunch of computers, so dedicating one to DVD and time shifting isn't a problem.