What's new

Which OS, etc. for mini media server? (1 Viewer)

BenCT

Auditioning
I finally decided to buy one of these to use as a small media server in my home theater. It is much slower than current hardware at only 800MHz and has limited RAM (I am going to try to find another 256MB-512MB stick for it, though). Hard drive space and lack of DVD-ROM are not a problem since this will only be used to play a small collection of MP3, Apple Lossless, FLAC, and WAV files through digital coax.

I am not sure what software to install on this machine, though. I have (legal) copies of Windows 98SE, 2000 Professional, XP Professional, Server 2003 (Standard and Enterprise), Server 2008 Standard, and of course can get any Linux/Unix. If I am unable to find additional RAM for a reasonable price (PC133 sure is expensive for 10-year-old technology), then Win98 or Ubuntu (probably Xubuntu, given my affinity for XFCE) look to be the best options for OS, given the 128MB restriction. If I can find additional RAM, I guess Windows XP is preferable. Any other suggestions here among the Linux varietal?

Aside from OS, I will need a media player that is simple to operate with minimal peripherals. Somewhere, I have an old (Windows 98 days) Creative Labs remote that worked with Winamp, WinDVD, and several other players. To minimize extra cost, it might be nice to use this remote. I think it is programmable, so I shouldn't be limited to the media players on the original list. What media players are good (and have a nice front end for standard definition viewing) for audio only?

Any other tips and tricks for building a media server are much appreciated... I have worked with computers for some time now, but my computer multimedia experience is somewhat lacking.

Thhank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hford713
Recent bookmarks