What's new

Which Operating Sys do you use at work ? (1 Viewer)

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
We currently use NT 4.0 for our 4000+ workstations, running Netware 4.11 for File and Print services, and a mixture of NT and standalone Win2k servers for applications.

We were scheduled to migrate all workstations, printers, fileshares, etc to Win2k Active Directory in the next few months, but has been postponed due to new funding restrictions. We need to show how Active Directory will add to the "bottom line" of the company (which is not IT oriented).

With Microsoft stopping support of NT on Dec 31 '02, that's a pretty good reason to get the heck off (in my book), but I need more ammo than that in my chats with upper management.

Anyone out there in a similar predicament ? What are you currently running, how many users, and what are your migration plans ?

Steven K

Supporting Actor
We primarily use Windows 2000. We still have several NT 4 machines and even a few 98 machines. We need the latter 2 machines because officially, most of our products are supported under all 3 platforms. We use them for QA purposes. Several of our main servers are still running NT Advanced Server because nobody wants to take the time to update the machines :)
However, we haven't put XP on any of the machines yet. We subscribe to the MSDN (which gives you practically every product that Microsoft makes).
We also use several flavors of Unix. We have several x86 Linux machines, 2 x86 Solaris boxes, and a few SPARC Solaris boxes. We use a program called "Clear Case" for source control, which runs oon Unix.

Duncan Barth

Stunt Coordinator
We've got a pretty mixed environment. The clients run either 95 or 98 (I work at part of an educational institution, so theres not a huge upgrade budget). We've got about 400 or so of them.

The server end is split between Win2K and Linux. Active Directory makes managing things a lot better... especially if you have to support a bunch of public use terminals that need to be secured. Group policies are my friends. So is Citrix Metaframe, allowing centralised management and vastly extending the life of obsolete client machines.

James St

Supporting Actor
My POS PC at work is a Pentium II 233 running on NT 4.0. But we use rather expensive 21" Sony Trinitron monitors which is actually too big since we sit so close to it. How these two were matched together I'll never understand.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
MacOS X on most desktops in our office (people can use whatever they want, we're just mostly macheads). Solaris & TRU64 on everything else. There is a rouge W2K server that is a print & filesharing server.

Steven K

Supporting Actor
Solaris is incredibly stable... unfortunately, SPARC machines are so damn expensive that many companies cannot afford to have 5 or 10 laying around.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
Steven,

You can get a SunBlade 100 starting at $950. And when you start looking at servers, comperable intel hardware is about the same price as well, but Sun's stuff is more robust. It's really just what people are comfortable with, software wise.

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
Microsoft:
DOS 6.22, Windows 95, 98 SE, Me, NT 3.51, NT 4.0 Workstation
Mac OS:
7.6.1, 8.1, 8.6, 9.2.2
Novell:
Solaris:
(version unknown)
A certain document company is responsible for most of those, including the Novell servers. I take full responsibility for the Macs. :D

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
My Terminal: Windows 2000
The Frame: IBM OS390.2
Other O/S's on various servers..
Linux
Unix
AIX
Win 3.11
Win 98
Solaris
OS/2 Warp
DOS
Is that confusing enough? :D

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
my box: Windows XP Pro

the floor: Windows NT 4.0 SP4

the servers: Windows 2000 Advanced Server(x2), Solaris 5.4(x4), Windows 2000 Server(x12), and Slackware Linux(x1).

LDfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeffrey
Network OS: Netware 6 and Windows 2000 and NT

Desktop: 95/98/NT all moving towards 2000.

Side note: The newest MSDN doesn't let you get away with mass copying like they used to. You need to call Microsoft and get a registration code, even for Office XP

Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks