Which Operating Sys do you use at work ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kirk Gunn, Feb 9, 2002.

1. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

We currently use NT 4.0 for our 4000+ workstations, running Netware 4.11 for File and Print services, and a mixture of NT and standalone Win2k servers for applications.

We were scheduled to migrate all workstations, printers, fileshares, etc to Win2k Active Directory in the next few months, but has been postponed due to new funding restrictions. We need to show how Active Directory will add to the "bottom line" of the company (which is not IT oriented).

With Microsoft stopping support of NT on Dec 31 '02, that's a pretty good reason to get the heck off (in my book), but I need more ammo than that in my chats with upper management.

Anyone out there in a similar predicament ? What are you currently running, how many users, and what are your migration plans ?

2. Steven K

Steven K Supporting Actor

We primarily use Windows 2000. We still have several NT 4 machines and even a few 98 machines. We need the latter 2 machines because officially, most of our products are supported under all 3 platforms. We use them for QA purposes. Several of our main servers are still running NT Advanced Server because nobody wants to take the time to update the machines [​IMG]
    However, we haven't put XP on any of the machines yet. We subscribe to the MSDN (which gives you practically every product that Microsoft makes).
    We also use several flavors of Unix. We have several x86 Linux machines, 2 x86 Solaris boxes, and a few SPARC Solaris boxes. We use a program called "Clear Case" for source control, which runs oon Unix.

3. Duncan Barth

Duncan Barth Stunt Coordinator

We've got a pretty mixed environment. The clients run either 95 or 98 (I work at part of an educational institution, so theres not a huge upgrade budget). We've got about 400 or so of them.

The server end is split between Win2K and Linux. Active Directory makes managing things a lot better... especially if you have to support a bunch of public use terminals that need to be secured. Group policies are my friends. So is Citrix Metaframe, allowing centralised management and vastly extending the life of obsolete client machines.

4. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

MacOS 10.1 [​IMG]

5. James St

James St Supporting Actor

My POS PC at work is a Pentium II 233 running on NT 4.0. But we use rather expensive 21" Sony Trinitron monitors which is actually too big since we sit so close to it. How these two were matched together I'll never understand.

6. John Besse

John Besse Supporting Actor

John
    I do Tech support for DSL and Cable modems. Our network is Win 98.

7. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

MacOS X on most desktops in our office (people can use whatever they want, we're just mostly macheads). Solaris & TRU64 on everything else. There is a rouge W2K server that is a print & filesharing server.

8. Steven K

Solaris is incredibly stable... unfortunately, SPARC machines are so damn expensive that many companies cannot afford to have 5 or 10 laying around.

9. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

Steven,

You can get a SunBlade 100 starting at $950. And when you start looking at servers, comperable intel hardware is about the same price as well, but Sun's stuff is more robust. It's really just what people are comfortable with, software wise.

10. David Lawson

David Lawson Screenwriter

David Lawson
    Microsoft:
    DOS 6.22, Windows 95, 98 SE, Me, NT 3.51, NT 4.0 Workstation
    Mac OS:
    7.6.1, 8.1, 8.6, 9.2.2
    Novell:
    Solaris:
    (version unknown)
    A certain document company is responsible for most of those, including the Novell servers. I take full responsibility for the Macs. [​IMG]

11. Steven K

12. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

We develop on W2K...

-Andre F

13. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

my box: Windows XP Pro

the floor: Windows NT 4.0 SP4

the servers: Windows 2000 Advanced Server(x2), Solaris 5.4(x4), Windows 2000 Server(x12), and Slackware Linux(x1).

14. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    Since we work in the web business, Win2k for desktops, Linux for our servers.

15. LDfan

LDfan Supporting Actor

Network OS: Netware 6 and Windows 2000 and NT

Desktop: 95/98/NT all moving towards 2000.

Side note: The newest MSDN doesn't let you get away with mass copying like they used to. You need to call Microsoft and get a registration code, even for Office XP

Jeff