What's new

Which one to get? (1 Viewer)

Mark Guidry

Stunt Coordinator
Hey all...I need some help! I have not ever really been into the game systems before...but now after looking at some of the new games...I cant resist! So I don't know much about them and need some help. I am looking at the Xbox or PS2. I would like to hear from you all what you like and dislike about the systems. I kinda like the PS2 for the fact that it has so many games and you can also play PS1 games on it. I don't know that much about the Xbox's games. I am not into the sports ones all that much...more like fighting and creepy adventure games. Also if there is one that would hook up to a digital receiver and have DD playback would be great too(don't know if any do that).

Thanks in advanced

Mark Guidry

Stunt Coordinator
OK I have done some reading and ansered some of my questions...but please feel free to give me some thoughts on what you like and dislike. It seams to me that the Xbox has better pic and sound quality but the PS2 has more games...is that about right?

Rob Varto

Supporting Actor
Mark, welcome to the forum.
There are endless posts on this very subject. If you do a search even a few days back you can join the debate on which system to get. In my opinion, get both :D
But yes, you are correct, XBox has the HD capability and DD sound while PS2 currently has more titles. In six months, IMO, Xbox will surpass the PS2 as the console to get/have.

Mark Guidry

Stunt Coordinator
Hey thanks for the reply...yeah I am starting to lean more to the Xbox because I really would like the sound...and I can wait for more games to come out.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Mark I echo Rob's sentiments.

You should make sure you look at the list of games coming up for both systems though. That should be your determining factor.

For me - the XBox looks like the better long term investment.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The PS2 right now is the way to go. The upcoming games for it rival the X-Box (plus all the Sega games only have 6 months exclusive to the X-Box) and the PS2 right now has a ton of great games. If I had to reccommend one console to anyone right now, it would be the PS2. Later this year, the X-Box might beat it out, but not right now, and probably not for the next few months.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
Please check out this thread for further insight into this topic.
Gosh I sure hope this thread stays civil. Most 'which system?' threads, however innocent the intention, end up becoming volatile.
Joseph

Mark Guidry

Stunt Coordinator
The PS2 it great now but wouldnt it make more sence to get one that will be better in a few monts. I would be mad if I got the PS2 now just because it has more games but its not as good as the Xbox in the graphics and sound department. If the Xbox is better in the sound and graphics then you can just wait to get some more games that would be better than the PS2 games. Maybe I'll hold off till later on in the year and see what the Xbox games are stacking up too.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Just because the X-Box has better graphics doesn't mean it will be a better console. The PS2 has a huge installed base, a ton of great developers working on it, a huge library of PSX and PS2 games, plus more great games already planned for the future. The huge installed base means that developers will want to develop for the PS2 because of the large audience they can try to appeal to. The X-Box right now has the potential to be as good as the PS2, but it most likely won't be better than it in the next year. I would suggest getting a PS2 because you have a lot of games to play and will have a lot in the future. The PS2 still has a lot of great games coming this year, so it will be able to compete with the X-Box and GameCube.

Mark Guidry

Stunt Coordinator
OK well what about the difference in the sound? I think the Xbox has games that are in DD and the PS2 has some that are in virtual 5.1...is that correct an what is the difference between the two?? Thanks again!

Andrew Grall

Supporting Actor
To me, it depends what you will be playing on.

If it is an HDTV with a DD receiver or similar hometheater setup... No question. X-Box is the way to go. I have had both consoles, and the X-Box cannot be beat on this kind of set-up.

If you are going to play on a 27" TV using the TVs speakers, it doesn't matter. Go with which one has the most games you want.

As far as game inventory, right now PS2 has the edge because it had 1 year head start on the X-Box. But, look at the coming releases for the X-Box, with particular attention to the month of March. There is a lot of good stuff coming up really soon!

Again... My experience comes from both consoles... I would recommend the X-Box.

Gary King

Second Unit
Xbox definitely has an emphasis on multiplayer gaming at the moment. There are some very good single-player games (Halo, Silent Hill 2, Amped, Gotham, Munch, Max Payne), but PS2 has more excellent single player games, and probably will for a while.

However, if you can regularly get groups of 3 or 4 over, PS2 doesn't hold a candle to the Xbox now (Twisted Metal: Black vs. Halo, Cel Damage, Fuzion Frenzy, Gotham, Tony Hawk 2X, Bloodwake, etc.), and the gap will probably increase dramatically over the next year.

And then there's the whole issue of graphics and sound quality.

Mark Guidry

Stunt Coordinator
Ok well here is the deal. I only have a 27" sony TV with S vidio inputs..nothing fancy...but I do have a digital reciever and DD,DTS surround. I will one day upgrade to a better TV when I have the room (when I move) but not anytime soon. So I dont mind really waiting for the games to get abundent for the Xbox but I dont want the Xbox if there is not going to be a big abount of games in the future.
So there is that big of a difference in the sound between the Xbox and the PS2?
Is the difference in the graphics between the two only noticeable with a HDTV setup (they both can be hooked up using S-vidio)??
:D :D
Also will the Xbox get the same games as the PS2 like GT3 and all??

Andrew Grall

Supporting Actor
The sound:
The "standard" for PS2 games is just Dolby Pro-Logic. However, a few games are now using DTS sound. Whether this will become more common or not... I don't know.
The "standard" for X-Box games is Dolby Digital 5.1. Halo is AMAZING in DD 5.1!!! Not all games use DD 5.1 as well as they could, but that will likely improve after other developers see what they did with Halo...
You won't notice as much of a graphics difference on a 27" TV using s-video, but given the X-Box's raw power, you will likely see some improvement.
While you are not likely to see some PS2 "exclusives" like GT3 on the X-Box, there are plenty of great games that are cross-platform, as well as some great X-Box exclusives. Almost all of the sports games (EA Sports, Sega 2k2+, etc.) are available on both PS2 and X-Box, with the X-Box versions being slightly better. Again, look for more of an improvement with their next installments. And X-Box also has its own "exclusives" like Project Gotham Racing (which is not on PS2), and in March, Sega GT racing is coming, and is rumored to be the first game at true HDTV resolution (1080i).
So...given your current situation, you could go either way and be happy. But, I would probably go one direction over the other... ;)

Gary King

Second Unit
On a 27" TV, you will notice that Xbox games flicker and shimmer less than PS2 games. Although you won't benefit as much as you would on an HDTV from the Xbox's improved texture resolution and other subtle effects, you will benefit from the more solid images that the Xbox produces. Even the PS2's big-budget titles (e.g., Final Fantasy X) can look downright ugly in motion due to shimmering and flicker.

Sound on the Xbox is an enormous leap from sound on the PS2 (even compared to the PS2's DTS enabled games).

Rob Varto

Supporting Actor
Mark, it sounds as though you're trying to convince US that YOU should get the XBox ;)
Really, no matter what system you get RIGHT NOW, you won't be unhappy. Six months from now, you'll probably wish you would have purchased the X-Box... especially if you get an HDTV.
I was an avid supporter of the PS2 over XBox... before I got XBox... IMO there is no comparison. If you compare games that are across both platforms, you'll buy it for the Xbox simply because of HD and sound. If you want Final Fantasy, Twisted Metal, Metal Gear, etc... get the PS2. But remember, exclusives are on the XBox too and like it was mentioned above, HALO is DD 5.1 is AMAZING!

Mark Guidry

Stunt Coordinator
HeH, Rob I guess your right..I am just trying to make sure I know all before I get something. I easaly get buyers remource and wish I got something else:D . It seems tho that the Xbox is going to be the one for me..I Am a fan for the bets possible graphics and sound in a game because that is the real reason I am getting the thing in the first place. I like gamesystems but never owned one (just not enough time) but they have gotten so good that I feel the need to get one and enjoy it. I really thank everyone for all the great insight to each! Next thing is where to get one? Should I go to the local jumbo super steromart or can I get a better deal online somewhere.

Mark Guidry

Stunt Coordinator
HEH, Rob I guess your right..I am just trying to make sure I know all before I get something. I easily get buyers remorse and wish I got something else:D . It seems though that the Xbox is going to be the one for me..I Am a fan for the bets possible graphics and sound in a game because that is the real reason I am getting the thing in the first place. I like gamesystems but never owned one (just not enough time) but they have gotten so good that I feel the need to get one and enjoy it. I really thank everyone for all the great insight to each! Next thing is where to get one? Should I go to the local jumbo super steromart or can I get a better deal online somewhere.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I have no doubt that Halo in 5.1/DD is amazing, but what about the other games? If you compare the PS2 and X-Box libraries right now in terms of gameplay, PS2 wins, and in graphics, the X-Box pretty much has Halo and maybe DoA3 (aka, Dead or Alive 2: Hardcore 2). The PS2 might not have the BEST sound and video, but somewhat good sound/video and a bunch of excellent games is better than excellent sound/video and only a good game or two.

This is a Home Theater forum, so sound and video are important, but this is also the Gaming section, which means that the actual gameplay should equal, if not more, importance.

And 6 months from now, I don't think people will be happy they got the X-Box instead of the PS2 simply because of graphics. If the X-Box has more good games than the PS2 and they all take advantage of the X-Box's power, then I could see people thinking this, but I doubt this will happen.

Gary King

Second Unit
Good game or two?

Currently, Xbox has Halo, DoA3, Silent Hill 2, Munch's Oddyssee, Amped, SSX Tricky, Project Gotham, Cel Damage, BloodWake, NFL Fever 2002, Madden 2002, NFL 2K2, NHL 2002, Nascar Thunder, and Tony Hawk 2X. Sure, it's not a whole lot of exclusives, and not all of the games will suit everyone, but there's enough of a lineup that most gamers should be able to last until the next wave of releases in February and March.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks