What's new

Which one to get--Pioneer VSA-AX10 or Yamaha DSP-AZ1? (1 Viewer)

Tomoko Noguchi

Second Unit
I have an opportunity to get one of these in the Spring. The Pioneer is now the best they have to offer in receivers and the Yamaha is also the best they have. Can anyone give me some ideas based on previous experiences with either brand?

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Both have just about every feature you can think of, and similar power output. The Yamaha will probably have better DSP effects if you like that sort of thing, while the Pioneer is THX Ultra 2 certified, which the AZ1 isn't.

I personally lean towards Yamaha amps over Pioneer, but both look like solid products (and hefty at 28kg each). The Pioneer's THX EX feature means there are two back surround channels vs. the Yamaha's one channel, which is the better way to go for EX/ES, IMO.

When the DSP-AZ1 lands I will look at upgrading from my DSP-A1 (which I upgraded from a DSP-A3090, both worked flawlessly). If you get a chance, try each out for a few days; this is really the only way to tell which is better.

Adam

Tomoko Noguchi

Second Unit
Thank you Adam. One of the things I see about the Pioneer is that it has a very detailed what is called a multi-channel acoustic calibration system for setting up your room (very interesting). It comes with a microphone and the ability to adjust accordingly. I'll have to look a little more at the Yamaha to see how well it deals with acoustics or if it has such a feature as the Pioneer.

What do you think of the Pioneer feature?

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
It sounds like a useful addition. Others have included automatic calibration systems in the past (Onkyo's 989 has one I believe) but I don't know how accurate they are.
Call me a freak, but I actually enjoy taking the time to calibrate each channel personally. Besides which, I'd end up re-checking the calibration anyway if it was done by the amp (just to be sure). :)
Adam

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Tomoko, does Pioneer Japan offer a preamp version of the AX10 there, just curious? They only sell recievers here. I was really disappointed with Pioneer when they stoped their seperates line here. Best wishes!

Tomoko Noguchi

Second Unit
Rachael,

No, Japan is going all receiver lines. The Integra is really the only pre-amp that I have seen here. Space is always a problem in Japan, so many are wanting receivers because of it. Right now I have a Denon pre-amp, but it is 5 years old.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
:) Thanks Tomoko! I'm always curious about what's going on in Nippon since we import so many products from ya'all. Best wishes!

Users who are viewing this thread