Which one: Spires or Adire Kit 81

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Dean-P, May 1, 2004.

1. Dean-P

Dean-P Stunt Coordinator

I'm planning my summer garage activities and I am also coming into some extra cash thru some other speakers I'm selling, so...[​IMG]

Right now I have Athenas ASC-1 and ASB-2. I am making a single Elf 1.5 to hear what everyone raves about. Now, I would like to use the Spires but I am wondering if they will be as good as the Kit81 Adires sells or should I just say, as good as a conventional 2-way speaker.
    The kit81 is a little pricey right now but the Spires falls right in line with the budget...
    Does Spires sound like a regular 2-way or better? Now that I asked that question, I think I remember RAW saying that they sounded better than Totems??[​IMG]
    I guess I am a little concerned that if I crank the volume while listening to AC/DC, I don't want to be disappointed as a 2-way would sound.
    I definitely know that they will be excellent for HT...
    I do have a 54l shiva for bottom end(which is being transformed into a Dharman clone this summer )
    Has anybody listened to both in an a/b situ?

Thanks in advance...

2. AllanRW

AllanRW Second Unit

If you are running them with a sub tuned the Spires in at 100HZ they will handle every bit of power your equipment can give them without excursion issues at all.
    The 81 is another good choice but for vocal matching I think I would stay with the Spires.
    Not saying this as the designer but in HT you want proper vocal matched speakers when you can.
    That choice is up to you.

As far as the Totems.
    Yes hands down.
    Listen to them against the [​IMG] ARRO.
    I have not yet hand anyone compaire the two models say they would spend that amount of money on a ARRO.

Dean drop me a email.
    I am in the middle of building a demo pair that I am going to be sending around for people to listen to.
    Only cost will be to ship them to the next person who wants to demo them.
    The info I will have up in a few days.

This past week and yesterday I just finished assembly of the 20-21,12-12,6-6 for the co owner of http://www.epiphanyaudio.com/products.htm
    And deliver them to the Island yesrday.

So once I get the demo set ready I will have them out the door to those wanting to demo them.

Al

3. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Supporting Actor

Epiphany Audio. Oh, right. They're the guys with the sub that puts out bass that's "too low and powerful to measure"...

So someone's finally figured out how to design a driver that has its Fs at -1 Hz?

i'm such a smart-aleck...

4. David_P

David_P Stunt Coordinator

I've heard earlier Totems, and I've heard the Spires at Al's place...

Totem's sounded good to me, but:

1) The one's I heard were a sub 3 ohm load
    2) they're expensive
    3) no so efficient

That said, those were a few years old, so perhaps the newer ones are easier on the amp (efficiency and load)

The Spires sound very very good indeed, particularly when the cost is considered. Where they suffer is in low frequency extension. You pretty much need to be able to deal with a 100 hz crossover... you can go a little lower, but at considerable power handling compromises. 8 ohm load, and pretty efficient.

Used within their 100hz and up range, they have excellent imaging and dispersion in a room. And the imaging seems to hold well even well off axis, which makes them great for HT use. Perhaps a little bright and edgey is some ways, but I've heard far worse from far more expensive speakers.

If you can deal with 100hz crossover (and all that implies in terms of subwoofer location, bass localization etc), you will not be displeased. You will more likely be rather stunned by how good they sound.

281's I've never heard.

David

5. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

That is an awesome plan, Al!! Plus, sending around a speaker that has already been broken in is great - it saves many people 100 or so hours of "burn-in" time for the drivers. [​IMG]

6. AllanRW

AllanRW Second Unit

Thanks.
    These will be heading from the next stop in 2weeks and I will keep a list for those wanting to have them for a week.
    Then pack them up and send them off to the next stop.
    More to come.

Al

7. Allen Ross

Allen Ross Supporting Actor

let me know if i can get in on the demo

8. Mark gas

Mark gas Second Unit

I would like a demo too.

9. Brian_J

Brian_J Second Unit

Yeah and UPS will help with the "break-in" period! [​IMG]

Brian

10. TimForman

TimForman Supporting Actor

I find a mini-array of TBs to be excellent for home theater. The comment about the brightness is true. This is typical of the W3-871S tonality. The mid-range is also a bit forward but I find this to be a plus also with HT. The mini-array in HT creates a nice wide sound field, very good for creating a wide listening area as movie watching often involves more than one person in the sweet spot. For critical music listening I prefer something with more detail and precise imaging. Others like the "wall of sound" so the mini-array may work well for them as well. You know Al, if the Spires make it to Adire again I could pick them up and take them back after a week. I'm bringing Bob's Jordans up today.

11. AllanRW

AllanRW Second Unit

These will be the bookshelf Spires not the towers.
    Now not to be worried as the tower design is just dead air space at the bottom of the cabinet they both use the same volume.Just the tower design is taller cabinet the bookshelf is more user friendly.

As far as UPS not going there at all.
    These will only be going Canada Post surface mail.

UPS has to many issues?
    Just the last order I sent to Texas with Criterion and Diluceo cabinets and matching stands.
    All arrived fine but just.
    The boxes were in a shape that they would have gone threw 2 world wars.
    I built a new set of stands as well for the customer and sent them CANADA POST/USPPS surface and the boxes arrived in mint shape with only dust on the boxs.Customer was stunned at the condition of the boxs after the arrival of both orders.
    The regular mail was in mint shape.UPS well another day.

More info just watch the site those interested can contact me direct.

Al

12. TimForman

TimForman Supporting Actor

Good packaging is the key.

13. Rory Buszka

Perhaps Al should design a bass pack for the Spires that has just a 6" woofer in it and sits on the floor right next to the Spires, to allow a lower crossover point. Or perhaps a side-firing 8" built into that empty space in the base of the tower.

14. AllanRW

AllanRW Second Unit

Looked into that was well.
    Only thing is we want a small faced cabinet 5" with inside depth that does not fit a lot of drivers with a mounting depth of 1" as we need vent space between th vent hole and rear(other side wall)
    Total depth inside is 3.5" when we use a 5" wide baffle.
    Anyother drivers you can get?LMK

Al

15. Rory Buszka

How about the CSS 6" woofer? Of course, it would have to be shielded, but I understand the CSS 6" is quite capable in the bass region. If you can't put it in the tower, perhaps you could offer it as a stand-alone little shoebox-sized thing that sits directly beside the Spires and crosses over at 150-170 Hz.

16. AllanRW

AllanRW Second Unit

Looked into that was well.
    Only thing is we want a small faced cabinet 5" with inside depth that does not fit a lot of drivers with a mounting depth of 1" as we need vent space between th vent hole and rear(other side wall)
    Total depth inside is 3.5" when we use a 5" wide baffle.
    Anyother drivers you can get?LMK
    inside depth that does not fit a lot of drivers with a mounting depth of 1"
    depth from frame to end of the magnet cup must be 1"

Al