What's new

Which one of the 4 RPTV is the best? (1 Viewer)

Which of the following TV you think is the best?
1. Samsung SP54J8HF 54" RPTVhttp://www.samsung.com.sg/tv/tantus...s/sp54j8hf.html
[Edited last by Tam Jen Yee on July 23, 2001 at 11:10 AM]

Yue-Keen Fan

Auditioning
Hi Jen Yee,
What happened to the Thomson set that you were waiting for? Changed your mind or had problem with the dealer? If this is of any help, after calibrating with VE and breaking-in, my 44" model looks great (if you can control your lighting and thus reduce the reflection). Anamorphic DVDs are amazing with the big screen.
As for the models that you listed, I don't think you'll get much replies as they are models sold only in Asia (specifically S.E. Asia).
I'll put in my 2 cents as I've considered them before I bought my Thomson set.
First of all, they are all 4:3 sets. If you watch a lot of DVDs, then you would want to have the 16:9 squeeze mode to enjoy the full resolution of anamorphic DVDs. I think only the Sony model has this feature. If it is available, check whether the switching between 4:3 mode and 16:9 squeeze mode is done easily as you'll be switching between these 2 modes for your cable and DVD viewing respectively.
If the 16:9 squeeze is not important to you, then it's a toss between the Sony and the Hitachi. The Sony has the DRC (if I'm correct) whereas the Hitachi has a non-reflective screen (very pleasing to the eye).
I dismissed the Toshiba because of the reflective screen althogh the colours are more vibrant than the other models.
I'm not familiar with the Samsung model.
When I bought the Thomson, the main reason was the 16:9 screen and I use it mainly for DVD viewing. I use another tube 4:3 TV in another room for cable and video.
Hope this helps & good luck searching for your TV.
Yue-Keen

KennethC

Auditioning
Actually the Toshiba doesn't have a relective screen on the 50D9UXE.. its only the 43" Toshibas that have the reflective screen.
------------------

Thanks for the advice guys.
I am supposed to get my Thomson 44" 2 months ago! But till now, the dealer told me the shipment is to be delayed and they couldn't give me a definite delivery date!
frown.gif

I did call Thomson HQ in Spore. The sales person told me its true that the 44" TV has no more stock and the next shipment will be most likely Sept/Oct!! That really pissed me off as I have already been waiting for 2 months.
So I decided to switch to 4:3 TV instead. According to thisLink Removed , I compute the 50" 4:3 and compare to the 44" 16:9 RPTV and find that the viewing area are always larger no matter what mode.
What is the difference between the 4:3 RPTV with & without 16:9 squeeze mode?
Currently I am narrowing down to the Sony & Toshiba model. Any suggestion to which showroom that have really decent demo on the 2 above mentioned RPTV?
Regards,
Jen Yee
[Edited last by Tam Jen Yee on July 24, 2001 at 04:02 AM]

Yue-Keen Fan

Auditioning
Jen Yee, sorry to hear abt the whole Thomson saga. For my case, they told me they "hijacked" one set from the shipment that was on its way to Down Under. My dealer explained that the shipment going Down Under usually stop by in Singapore for changing the plugs and some parts that work for this part of the world. Don't know if it is BS but if you still want the set, you might mention my case when you call Thomson SG.
If you are really pissed, then give Thomson the miss (wow, it rhymes). They screwed you for 2 months.
I was abt to explain the vertical compression (or 16:9 squeeze) but I saw you already posted in another thread. Anywasy, Jay gave a very good explanation on the subject. Wiht my lousy explanation skills, I would have confused you more if I tried to explain :)
Both your choices are good, Sony has the squeeze AFAIK but you better double check with the sales guy and surf the net for info. Toshiba has nicer colours and it's a good choice also if it doesn't have a reflective screen as pointed out by KennethC.
Good luck and happy shopping.
Yue-Keen

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks