What's new

which one is more popular in HTF, dipole surround or direct radiating? (1 Viewer)

J

John Morris

Felix: what are the dimensions of your room and where is the sweet seating spot in relation to your rear surrounds?
Get back to me with your answer and I'll give you my best opinion. Why? Because different type speakers sound differently when placed in different rooms at different distances from your ears. Otherwise, direct speakers should always sound best... but they don't.:D
LMK, and we can go from there....

GregoriusM

Second Unit
John: I know you've been around these parts a lot longer than I have, but I don't think you can say that direct speakers should always sound best.

There are a lot of people and speaker manufacturers who would disagree with you.

... Greg

J

John Morris

Greg: IMO, in a room with no boundaries, where seating and speaker placement is ideal, direct radiators sound best. If the rear surrounds are close to the listening area, then dipole or bipoles sound best to me. At the same time, if possible, the primary 5 speakers should be identical or at least be tonally matched, but the rear center speakers, to me become irritatingly distracting when they are direct radiating and are too close to your seating area. That distraction disappears when you can place those 7.1 speakers within an area you designate. BTW, in case you didn't notice, I use all bipolar speakers. Hope that clears up my POV.

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
to john morris
i just only want to know the most popular setup in here. i actually am feeling comfortable with my small, direct radiating speakers. even if you guys were telling me direct radiating sucks, i dont have any more money left to spend on new speakers.
thanks for asking though! my living room is...dang it is hard to describe since i dont even speak english very well.
Link Removed
there! one side with window glasses.
Link Removed
just fire up your opinion, i am all ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks