What's new

which one is more popular in HTF, dipole surround or direct radiating? (1 Viewer)

Mike_A

Stunt Coordinator
i just got some energy e:XL-R dipoles and so far am quite happy, although from what I read, bipoles would be more ideal for my room setup.

speaking of which, let's throw bipoles into the mix here too...

GregoriusM

Second Unit
I have Paradigm ADP-170's for surrounds, which are bipole below 200Hz and dipole above that.

I think they are great!

... Greg

Scott Pagac

Stunt Coordinator
I am using a pair of Phase Tech Teatro bi-poles for the side surrounds and a pair of Wharfedale MFM-7 direct radiating towers for the rear surrounds.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Platinum Audio all direct radiating. Dipole is nice but as William Julien stated, don't care to much aboot a diffused soundfield.

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
D-I-Y dipoles - triangular shape so their mostly diffused, but strong signals are localizabel, so the work great! I wouldn't trade them for directs.

KrisM

Second Unit
Neil,

What are you using for fronts. Have you compared the PSB Ambients to any of their other speakers.

Regards

KrisM

BrentW

Auditioning
Atalntic Technology 350 Dipoles. Two pairs side and rear. Really prefer using both sets with EX and non-EX soundtracks.

Brent

Tom D

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks to denon with there rear A/B switching I can choose between miy adp 350 dipoles or my mini monitors or both at the same time.:D

GregoriusM

Second Unit
Tom: Where do you have your sets of speakers placed?

I'm looking at putting my dipoles to the side and slightly behind my sitting position, and then when I get a new set of Mains, (probably the Reference Studio 40's from Paradigm) I'll put my Titans in the back corners of the room.

I have a Denon 3300 that allows me to do what you can do as far as A, B and A&B configurations.

... Greg

Brian Johnson

Supporting Actor
Do a search in this forum. They had a link to a site that claimed (to sum it up the best way i can) that direct speakers are preferred. They say dipoles put out so many signals it ruins the surround effect. I will search & report back.(the gf has me cooking dinner)
Heres the thread: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...ghlight=dipole
Heres the article:
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Holl...1/Dipoles.html
A Better Article:
http://www.smr-home-theatre.org/Type...ker-Types.html
Any other insight ?

Tom D

Stunt Coordinator
Greg, I to have a 3300, my couch sits about 4 feet into my room, so I have the dipoles on either side of the couch, and the mini monitors are placed behind me in the corners of the room. It is nice to be able to pick and choose between th two or have both running at the same time. I wouldn't mind addind a 3802 or a 4802 and rear centers though.;)

Geo

Stunt Coordinator
I use tripole (M&K SS-750) and direct (NHT SuperOne) with my Denon 4802...........

geo

GregoriusM

Second Unit
Tom D: Thanks for the reply.

Your setup sounds like what I will be moving to in the future.

And the 3802 will be nice (or whatever replaces it) in a couple of years. My 3300 is only about 14 months old and sounds quite nice. I'd look at the 4802, but I don't need its high-priced remote. I'd rather use one of my Home Theater Master remotes or my Pronto.

Actually, I wouldn't mind just upgrading the whole speaker system to Studio 40's, CC-370, ADP-370's and Mini Monitors (1 in each corner and one in the center rear).

Dreaming...........!!!

Johnson: I couldn't access the first article, but second article spends the bulk of its time referring to using Bipole and Diple Main speakers...... not so much as surrounds, which is what I think we are talking about here.

... Greg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks