What's new

Which one first? (1 Viewer)

Nick L

Second Unit
I am currently in the midst of a dilema. I have a HDTV running off of a non progressive scan dvd player. I also have a poor sub, an 8" klh that really sucks. I don't know which one to replace first. Should I buy the progressive scan dvd player so the picture looks oh so sweet. Or should I buy the 12"sub, so the sound is filled out all the way and I can feel the bass. I can't decide. Which would you buy first? I need some help.

Matt Amato

Stunt Coordinator
I would say the real question is, are you more of a video person or an audio person. I love both video and audio, but when it comes to choosing between improving my picture quality versus upgrading my sound quality, I would normally go with picture. Then again, it also depends on what your current setup is and how big of an improvment you would get in each area. Maybe if you tell us what your current setup is we could help you out better.

Matt

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
I'd go for the sub. While there's room for improvement in your picture quality I'm assuming that adding a progressive scan DVD player will take you from better to best. If you're not satisfied with the bass from your current sub you'll porbably get more bang for your buck by investing in a new one.

Nick L

Second Unit
Right now I have a H/K AVR320 hooked up to Boston Acoustics VRM50's for my fronts. BA VRMC for the center and PSB image 1b's for the rears. I aslo have a Mitsu 46809 rptv, fed by a Sony sp-530d dvd player(yeah its an old one). I have a klh 8" ported sub, that can't handle anything below I'd say 50hz. And is pretty quiet when going even that low. The two objects of my desire are a Panny RP82 and a DefTech ProSub 200TL. After writing this I think I'm leaning towards the sub, but would still like to know what you think.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
you'll porbably get more bang for your buck by investing in a new one.
This sort of depends on your view of money. You can buy a reasonable, progressive scan DVD player for a couple of hundred dollars. How much does the sub you are considering cost? I’m not familiar with that particular sub, but it is not uncommon to for many in this forum to pay two or three times as much for a sub as for a DVD player.

Nick L

Second Unit
Due to a good deal I'm getting on things, they will both cost about the same. We'll say around $175 for either one. I think at this point I'll probably take the sub first.

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor
I think you should go for a DVD, the sub around $175 arent that good, a good DVD can be found for $175 - $250 (sony or panasonic), and a great sub you are looking for $500 for an SVS.

BryanZ

Screenwriter
I have to agree with Pablo here. The dvd player will offer the immediate improvement while the sub will only offer temporary satisfaction. A good sub will run you $400+. Go for the dvd player now.

Matt Amato

Stunt Coordinator
I would go with the sub, it will probably give you a bigger all around improvement with your HT experience than a progressive DVD player would (Although I own the RP82 and it kicks ass).

Matt

Nick L

Second Unit
The sub is not a cheap sub. It retails for $549 I think. I'm just getting a helluva deal on it. Here is a link to the specs on it.
Its the ProSub 200TL.

Manny_S

Stunt Coordinator
I also own an RP82. It's sweet, but I sure wish it was available in black. But, if I were in your situation, I'd go for the sub first.

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
personally, i'd get the sub, especially at that price.

i just paid full price for that sub.

Ernest Yee

Supporting Actor
Yeah - go for the sub. If you want some progressive scan, just get a mid priced one for now and save up for one of the Faroudja or Silicon Image models for later.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks