Which one: Avia or Sound and Vision

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jim Peavy, Aug 25, 2002.

1. Jim Peavy

Jim Peavy Supporting Actor

Looking to get a calibration DVD and thought I could get some feedback on the Avia and the Sound & Vision Home Theater Tune-Up. They seem to be the two most popular. I've got a new Toshiba 32A42, I've ordered the Ideal-Lume bias lighting...uh, light, and am going to want to enter the won'erful world of calibration before too much longer.
    Since my TV is not top of the line or anything, I thought maybe the Sound & Vision Home Theater Tune-Up would suffice (it's about half the $$ of Avia); but then, I do want the best for my new baby.
    So I don't know.
    What do ya'll think?

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Both were developed by the same people, so overall the quality should be similar. As far as I can tell, S&V really skims over the video calibration, where AVIA offers all the baisc patterns (and info on how to use them) along with extensive extra patterns (including overscan, pixel cropping, geometry, etc).

I would say go for Avia, even for a few bucks more. If nothing else, having the extra test patterns available to you will help you better understand the display technology.

-V

3. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    I'll second AVIA, I bought it a year and a half ago and it's never let me down, i've calibrated many systems with it.

You might want to pick up a sound meter for your audio as well if you don't already have one. The audio tests on AVIA are useless without one.

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    AVIA is very complete, especially later on if you get into front projection. The extra test patterns and sound tones make it a must have for calibration.

5. Jim Peavy

Jim Peavy Supporting Actor

[​IMG]
    Thanks for the feedback, guys. Avia it is!