Which of these two TVs should I get?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by JordanB, Dec 5, 2003.

1. JordanB

JordanB Auditioning

If you had to pick from between these two...

Toshiba 32A33 and the Toshiba 27AF43

What would you go with? My other option is a 32-inch flat screen Apex...

My situation: I'm a 19 year old college freshman, and I've had a Kenwood HT-in-a-box for about 2 years in my room (at home). I've been collecting DVDs for about 4 years, and have a decent collection with 165, currently. I've had a 27 inch Sony Trinitron, at least 10 years old in my room for awhile now. However, just recently, the video input jacks have gone bad, and there is a fuzz over all input video. With the holidays approaching, I should have a couple hundred bucks to spend on a new TV. I'm thinking of staying with the 27 inch size, and getting a decent set with component video jacks, and getting a new DVD player with the outputs. I've also considered upgrading slightly to a 32 inch. My price limit is probably about 400, as I doubt my parents will let me spend much more. I would appreciate if you guys could suggest some good models in my size/price range. I think I'd rather have a very nice 27 inch than a poor 32 inch. Please keep my price limit in mind. Thanks!
    Jordan B.

2. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Apex is not an option, poor reliability is a big problem with them.

I'd also agree that a good 27" is better than a fair 32".

I'd suggest you consider the Sony KV27FS100. This is a flatscreen Wega model with component inputs and a 16/9 "squeeze" mode for anamorphic dvd (I don't think Toshiba offers a squeeze mode). This set is commonly available for about $359-$399. JVC also makes 27" flatscreen models in this price range with a 16/9 mode. I would not purchase a set for dvd use that does not have a 16/9 squeeze mode available--makes for a much better pq on anamorphic dvds, just remember to reset your dvd player to 16/9 mode.

3. Lev-S

Lev-S Second Unit

16:9 Enhanced mode is well worth the price of the Sony.

4. Rogozhin

Rogozhin Stunt Coordinator

Toshiba 27AF43 has "the squeeze".

rogo