Which of these two receivers should I get? (Denon vs. Onkyo)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Je-P, Nov 28, 2002.

1. Je-P

Je-P Stunt Coordinator

The Denon AVR-3803 or the Onkyo TX-SR800. I'm pretty much going to get one of these two, which should I get? I'll be powering a 6.1 setup.

2. Dave T

Dave T Auditioning

I am trying to decide between both of these also. I have heard both and cannot decide.
    I feel the denon is better sounding for cd 2 channel audio. I love the fact that in pure direct mode the sub still works. Most receivers that is not the case.
    The problem is that I cannot seem to make up my mind as to which is better for surround sound. Denon has the single processor and the onkyo has 2. Does it matter?
    Please post your opinions

3. Dave T

Dave T Auditioning

Ok, here are a few more things I noticed between the 2 receivers. I have been playing with both for the last 2 days.

As I said before the denon is very clean and smooth with cd audio. However the bass responce is much weaker than the onkyo. I have the crossover on both set to 120. This seems to work the best for my sub and satalite speakers.
    The onkyo has much more bass responce even at the same level. I evern turned the sub volume up on the 3803 as far as it could go and the bass was better but still seems like is missing something.
    As far as cd audio the onkyo 800 sounds good. Not quit as smooth as the 3803. The sound seems a bit more harsh.

The best area for the 800 is the sound I get watching movies. There seems to be more detail and sound with the 800. The 3803 has good sound but it seems to be less powerfull.

I want to like the denon but at this point I thing the onkyo may win out. I am going to keep testing to see if anything changes.

4. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

Dave,
    You may also want to try the Sony DA4ES and the H/K 525 if you like the HT performance of the Onkyo and the CD audio of the Denon. I have similar impressions on the lower end Onkyos: solid for HT, but not as invisible for stereo.

The new Denon 3803 is a touch brighter on the top end for music which I think is related to AL24. Also, try dialing in the distance of the sub accurately in the 3803 speaker setup. I had the same complaint in regards to lack of bass and was dialing the bass output way up until doing this. This seemed to have made a difference as I am not setting the sub hot anymore. Also went from 60Hz to 80Hz on the xover (Note my speakers extend down to 50Hz and I use the Denon as preamp only).

I was quite impressed on the bass output during Attack of the Clones.

5. Dave T

Dave T Auditioning

Thanks Gil. I have tried the sony 4es a while back. I was not that impressed. I thought about the H/K but I am looking for a unit with dts 96/24. I have a few disks with this format and it sounds better.
    I will try playing with sub distance. I have the crossover set at 120. Since I do not have large main speakers the 120 setting works the best. I wish I could afford to spend more then I might have a better chance to find a receiver that will do ht and music well.

6. Stephen Houdek

Stephen Houdek Second Unit

S
    I have the 797 which is last years 800.......Have plenty-o-power...Haven't had any problems yet with it. It is great for HT and pretty darn good for 2 channel as well. Although I don't really listen to two channel much any more.

I find myself listening to my music in Dolby music mode which does a nice job of filling out the rears. With 5 speakers it just doesn't make sense to use only two of them for me. I don't find there is a radical difference between HT and Music. Just a subtle difference that you won't notice very much after a while.

7. David Harris

David Harris Stunt Coordinator

While road testing receivers i thought the denon sounded better than onkyo, I ended up buying the pioneed elite 45tx because I thought its sound was on par with the denon and has all of the features you listed plus MCACC and THX certification....ps let your ears be your guide

8. Dave T

Dave T Auditioning

David, the 45tx was a unit I have been looking at for a long time. The problem is that the local shop that sells elite only gives a 3 day trial. To me that is not enough time to evaluate the receiver. That is the reason that I have been working with the onkyo and the denon. I may have to give the pioneer another look. I have not seen anyone that has owned the pioneer that has not been happy with it.Maybe you could answer a few questions on the 45tx?

1 Is it possible to turn off the Re-Eq.

2 Is it possible to change the volume level for the sub or the speakers during a movie without going through the menu?
    I am talking about the individual speaker volume levels.

Thanks

9. David Harris

David Harris Stunt Coordinator

1 Is it possible to turn off the Re-Eq.......yes, in fact i use either front align or EQ off...front align is nice because the receiver adjusts your surrounds and center to complement your mains, and off is always good IMHO...

2 Is it possible to change the volume level for the sub or the speakers during a movie.......yes, all you have to do is press the select ch button choose the speaker you want to adjust and press the up and down arrows.

without going through the menu?.....yes
    I am talking about the individual speaker volume levels.yes

kinda sounds like a commercial huh...more ways to say yes...

I think a full week audition would be more fitting,heck it took me a week to figure out what shelf i was going to place it on. anyway keep it on deck, i think it is a good unit...have fun auditioning 73 dharris