1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Which of these receivers will be a good pre-amp?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by VicQ, Sep 13, 2001.

1. VicQ

VicQ Stunt Coordinator

I couple of months ago, I had the opportunity to buy a 5 channel Parasound amp (85wts *5) for a great price $375. Right now I'm using a Yamaha rx-v596 as the preamp. Of course, the sound is better than from the receiver, with smoother, quicker transients, more detail, and warmer sound. I'm thinking of upgrading in the near future. Here's the receivers I have in mind so far. Also, I'm trying to find something for less than $1000. I'm interested in 6.1, so I'd use one single channel from the receiver to drive the rear channel.
    Denon 2802 - Minuses are, only 4 digital inputs, and there was a post in the forum stating to a "spitting sound" from the decoding chip and not the amps. I don't particularly care for this model's remote.
    Denon 3802- Minus is , again, only 4 digital inputs, over my budget.
    Marantz 7200- Minuses are, it seems to have some s-video problems, "small" settings has 100hz cutoff, which is too high for me.
    Onkyo 797- Seems to have everything that I need, including a 12volt trigger. Minuses are, previous Onkyo models have the heat sinks underneath the circutry, making the whole unit hot. I don't like that. I'm not sure if that's the case with this year's models. The remote might be the same as the 787, in which you had to program every single button for other components, it has no pre set codes whatsoever.
    I'm planning to buy it from a local dealer. Any comments or other suggestions are welcome.

2. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

J & R (*if they're still doing business - they're in lower Manhattan [​IMG]) currently is clearing out the Harman/Kardon Signature preamp. This has DD and DTS and lots of ins/outs but not much S-Video switching. The price is very attractive.
    ------------------
    Philip Hamm
    Pat's the best!™
    AIM: PhilBiker
    click on the little green house to see the evolution of my home theater!

3. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

If you already have a power amp I would not suggest you go out of your way to buy a receiver to use as a preamp. Go straight to a dedicated pre/pro. If you have to save for a bit to do that you will still be better off, as sometime down the road is a safe bet you'll upgrade anyway. Look out for Outlaw's new pre/pro. You can also contact Gregg Loewen as at one point he had a Sony pre/pro that he was selling. Just a couple of examples at a reasonably low price point.
    I can understand buying a receiver first then upgrading with a power amp down the line, but not the other way around.
    ------------------
    --Jay
    "No one can hear when you're screaming in digital."
    My Home Theatre Pictures...
    "You're no messiah. You're, you're a movie of the week. You're a ... t-shirt, at best."

4. Ryan Schnacke

Ryan Schnacke Supporting Actor

For this years models, Onkyo has added pre-programmed remote codes for other manufacturer's components. But for some reason they didn't add CD player codes. So you'll still have to learn all the CD player buttons. At least that's the way it is with the 595.