Which of these is the best interlaced DVD player.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Allen Longcor, Sep 15, 2002.

1. Allen Longcor

Allen Longcor Supporting Actor

I have a Toshiba 32" TV that does not do the squeeze. I am currently using a Panasonic RV31 which perfoms VERY well. I am going to give it to my parents so that they can finally join the rest of us in DVD world. I'd like to replace it with something that would be an improvement over that player. I watch movies in widescreen only, unless it is something like the Simpsons. So I have the player on 4:3 letterbox and everything looks great. I am not interested in features such as DVD-A or Progressive Scan because when I finally get an HD ready TV I will get a new player. So which of these would be best:

JVC SV-S300BK
    Panasonic DVD-RV32K
    Panasonic DVD-RP62S (Progressive, but if the interlaced is worth it I'd spend the extra cash)
    Philips DVD624AT or 724AT (Again 724 is progressive but if it is better than the 624 I'll shell out the extra cash)
    Sony DVP-NS315/B

2. Zac_F

Zac_F Agent

I just picked up the Panny CP72, a progressive, dvd-audio, 5 disc changer. I am only using it in interlaced via s-video mode and it blows away the RV30 it replaced. Even my wife, who couldn't care less about most of this stuff commented. She said now we need a big TV to appreciate this. For $229 you can't go wrong.

3. Allen Longcor

I'm trying to keep it around $100-$120 even though a couple of those are more.

4. Allen Longcor

Ok I narrowed it down to the Panasonic RV32, the JVC S300, or the Toshiba 2800. My concern is that I have read on this forum that the 2800 does poorly on displaying 16:9 material in a 4:3 letterbox format. Is this only on larger screens? Will I notice this on my 32" screen? I want the best I can get with my limited budget and I think the quality around $100 now a days is pretty outstanding.

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Allen, I can vouch for the 2800, chugging away proudly in my bedroom setup, mated via component-video cables to a three-year-old Toshiba CZ27V51. I go into the service menu to "squeeze" the picture and look at widescreen DVDs only in the 16:9 mode. The problem with the 2800's downconversion is that it renders a distinctly "video look" on the resulting image. Yet, in 16:9 mode, it's a surprisingly good player.

That 32-inch Toshiba should be able to do the "squeeze" from the service menu.

6. AlexO

AlexO Auditioning

Also take a look at the Pioneer 440.
    Similar in features to the RV32 (no WMA but both coax and optical out)

7. TimG

TimG Second Unit

I have the Sony, and I think it does a good job on down-converting. I think it can be had for about $110 or so bucks. It doesn't seem to show near as "soft" a picture as the older Sony models did. My Pana 31 died after about 7 months, so I skipped the 32 as a replacement, although I haven't heard of anyone having problems with the 32. I think it all comes down to how much you want to spend and if you are planning on upgrading your display anytime soon.

TimG