What's new

Which of these AV receivers? (up to £200) (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Elliot
I currently have a Pioneer VSX-324-K-P (2013), which supports HDCP v1.4.

Chromecast Ultra requires HDCP v2.2 for 4K playback.

Since I only want to swap my AV receiver for HDCP v2.2-capable one, I don't want to spend a lot of money.

I'll only be powering a set of low-end 5.1 speakers, so the AV receiver doesn't need to be anything special.

I believe these are my options:
  1. Any thoughts on any of these?
  2. Do I need to pay £200, or will the £150 Denon one do me?

Last edited:

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
The Denon will work for the HDMI passthrough, though the amplifier on the other ones would be superior.

Real Name
Elliot
In terms of specs, most of the low end units are going to be hard to interpret, as they rarely hit their specs in real-world performance. I would look for professional reviews where they have been measured.

Otherwise, you could go for a refurbished higher model which will be vastly superior:

https://www.richersounds.com/denon-avrx2300-blk-1.html
Unfortunately, they rarely have refurbished models. For example, at the moment, they only have:

Denon AVR-X4400H, £749
Yamaha RX-A1070, £799
Pioneer SC-LX901, £1,579

Last edited:

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I'll only be powering a set of low-end 5.1 speakers, so the AV receiver doesn't need to be anything special.

It sounds like you're only interested in hard specs [things that can be easily verified] such as HDCP v2.2 support. Any particular unit either supports this or it doesn't. The slight of hand always comes in the soft specs that can be fudged, such as amplifier power. If you have a smaller room or overall punch isn't your primary concern I would just go with the cheapest option here.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks