What's new

Which of these 5 channel Amps to Choose? (1 Viewer)

Fred DeGrandis

Stunt Coordinator
What 5 channel Amp to Choose?

This is one of the hardest decisions I have ever had to make. I have done loads of research, so please don't think I am trying to take the easy way out.

I have Paradigm Reference Speakers, and I will be using my Marantz SR7000 as a pre until I get More cash. I also have a dual SVS sub setup, but I will be using the Samson amp that I have for that. I have finally narrowed it down to these 3 amps, thank God. I am looking for an amp that I will love for a long time, and an amp that will open the hell out of my speakers, to make them sound....Wonderful. Many other members have responded to emails about the Sherbourn, stating that it was a great amp, and couldn't be beat for the money, but is it a better idea to go the monoblock route(the Sherbourn) than the conventional route with either the Parasound or the Anthem?

Here are the possible amps that I am looking at:

1. The Sherbourn 5/1500A for $1395.00 I really like the Monoblock design, and from what I have read, the owner knows what He's doing, and is a real good guy.

2. The Parasound 2205 for $1650.00 I have read that "The Sherbourn beat the Parasound in sound off blind tests" but I have also read that this is a great amp that can't be beat for the money.

3. The Anthem II for around $1100.00 The salesman who sold me the speakers recommended this amp to pair with the speakers, but I want to know what all of you think?

Please leave comments after voting letting me know what you think.

Thanks again,

Fred

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
The Parasound and the Sherbourn better the Anthem in my opinion, although the Anthem is great also. It's a tough choice between the Sherbourn and Parasound. I would lean towards the Sherbourn. The Parasound is ever so slightly more powerful, but not enough to even notice. This is really a tough choice as I really like both amps, and have a soft spot for the Parasound. Tough choice. Obviously the decision will come down to what will sound best with your speakers. The 2205 will sound a bit warmer than the Sherbourn.

John Tompkins

Supporting Actor
Fred, I have owned both Sherbourn 5/1500 and Parasound 2205..Both Great amps..See Parasound 2205 thread. I think it depends on your speakers and sound characteristics you prefer..But there very close,In my opinion there are some differences though..thanks

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
The Parasound 2205 for $1650.00
Fred, if I may ask, is the price you list for the 2205 difficult to find given its $2000 retail price, or is this the average discount I could expect on this amp? I haven't done any haggling with dealers for this piece so I don't know what price to expect to pay for it.

John Tompkins

Supporting Actor
Scott-C, I bought some gear from superaudiovideo.com out of Jorseey:) Anyway I think they have the parasound 2205 on sale for 1599.00 new!! hope this helps...

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
Thanks John, yet another door opened for me! Those are really good prices. I assume their merchandise is new & factory-fresh, though I can't find mention either way on their site.
Outstanding prices, however. :)

John Tompkins

Supporting Actor
Scott, I bought a pair of NHT vs2.4 speakers from them. They were brand new, A stock and delivered on time with no problems..

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
Thanks John, that's great to hear. I've bookmarked this vendor for when my time comes to ante up for some new stuff (hopefully very soon).

Gil D

Supporting Actor
Fred,

Let me know where I can get the Sherbourn for that price. I am looking at the Anthem right now. I had no idea the Parasound and Sherbourn were just a little more.

Gil

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Fred,

I would like to know where you can get the Sherbourn at that price as well...

Scott

Vinny Petronio

Stunt Coordinator
I have the parasound for about 6 months now and I am very sastisfied with the sound i'm pushing 4 cdm7nt with matching center with no problems, you will love this amp on music as well as movies.the sound stage is awsom.:emoji_thumbsup:

Vinny Petronio

Stunt Coordinator
Scott, I have the 1205A which puts out a conservative 140 watts x5 at at 8 ohms which is plenty of power and half the price of the 2205

ThomasR

Auditioning
I've used an ATI 1505 amp for 2 years now and it is one terrific piece of equipment.

I would not spend any more on an amp. It is built like a tank, has plenty of power, is laid out in a clean uncluttered manner and sounds VERY good.

An amplifer should pass the signal without changing the character of that signal, I would say that the ATI does just that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks