What's new

Which of these 2 SVS subs is better for me? (1 Viewer)

Je-P

Stunt Coordinator

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I love them both but I would go with the PB1-ISD if you are drawn to a box sub. Ron or Tom would be able to give you a better idea how one would perform over the other. I shoot off an email to either one of them and they will get back with you in no time at all.

Parker

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
I believe their performance is close if not the same. Therefore I would go with the least expensive one that looked the best.

GeoffM

Agent
those two have the same output - just a different design. If money isn't a problem I'd suggest the + version ;) :emoji_thumbsup:

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
The PB1-ISD is tuned a bit deeper (22 Hz) than the 25-31PCi.

If you were considering the cylinder, you might want to ask for the 22 Hz tune port to be installed in the 25-31PCi. This is a free modification at the time of construction and the result is affectionately known as the "22-31PCi", although no official model designation exists for this variant.

As an alternative, you could also purchase the 20-39PCi for the same $$ as the PB1-ISD.

All four of these subs (PB1-ISD, 25-31PCi, "22-31PCi", 20-39PCi) will provide very similar performance. The 20-39 will provide the deepest extension by a small margin, at the expense of a small loss in maximum output capability.

While room size is certainly a factor, how loud you prefer HT playback is really the most important question. If you have a SPL meter, how loud are your bass peaks at the key listening positions? Are you calibrated to Reference Level, and if so how many clicks under RL do you like to play bass heavy DVDs?

Regards,

Ed

Ian C

Stunt Coordinator
Just to further confuse the picture, your room size is about the same as mine...though mine has a stairwell leading up and an opening to the kitchen. I originally ordered the 20-39 PCi and sent it back for the 25-31 PC+. While I probably would have been happy with the PCi, in my setup it wasn't enough for the usual sub torture tests (Toy Story 2 opening, Jurassic Park, LOTR:EE, Star Wars). Now, I get a grin every time I throw one of these discs in to show it off.

Basically, if you have the extra money, I would recommend the PC+...unless, that is, you have a closed room. Then, you would probably be happy with a PCi. As far as cylinder versus box...Well, it's much easier to hug the cylinder :)

In my case, my wife complained the 20-39 PCi was "too big"...so I sent it back for the 25-31...PC+ :D

Ian C.

ChadLB

Screenwriter
I was kinda in the same boat as Ian. I had the 25-31PCi and after a while and some posts I decided to upgrade to the 25 - 31PC+. It was well worth it...a little more SPL and a little more Punch. In case you are wondering my current room is about 14' * 16' and my new room is only going to be 11' 6" * like 13" deep once we move in July....
Ed knows alot so his recommendations are good to.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
I have the "22-31PCi", in a room that's 13x26 with 10" ceilings, and some openings as well. Plenty loud enough for me, although I don't listen at reference and rarely go beyond 15-20dB below reference -- the tyranny of apartment living :frowning:

But cranking it up close to reference, it's loud enough for me. Stuff like the Pod Race rattles the doors and windows. :D And U-571 is unbelievable.

Je-P

Stunt Coordinator
Ian, I think I have the exact same room design as you!! I have an opening to the kitchen, and stairs in the rear of my room. =)

I decided to go with the 25-31 PC+. I emailed Ron and he said that while the PCi is solid, the PC+ will be mindblowing. And that's what I'm looking to achieve. I just need to pick up an SPL meter when my speakers come in and I'll be set.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
I think you will be very happy with the 25-31+.. My room size is 24 X 12 with 10' ceilings (2880 cubic ft) and one very leaky long wall. I do run duel but one does a very sufficient job. Really no need at all for duel. You should have plenty of headroom. That's one heck of a sub you have on the way there Je-P!;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks