What's new

Which of the following plagued with "Chroma Bug"? (1 Viewer)

David Susilo

Screenwriter
a. Toshiba 1800 (low end, interlaced)
b. Panasonic DMR-E50 (low-end DVD recorder, progressive)
c. Pioneer 363 (low end, interlaced)

or is it all of the above?

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
All progressive-scan panasonic players are chroma-bug free because they all use the same mpeg-decoder.

David Susilo

Screenwriter
Stephen, I beg to differ. The current players from Panasonic (I don't know about the recorders) are ridden with chroma-bug.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
No panasonic player since the RP32 3 model years ago has has chroma bug when used in progressive mode on a porgressive scan tv... the old RP32, S35, S55, and F65 all have chroma problems when used in interlaced mode, but NOT in progressive (the RP32 had no progressive mode, it was interlaced only).

Don Munsil

Stunt Coordinator
Stephen,

I don't know of any Panasonic RP32. RP was their prefix for progressive models, and the 32 wasn't progressive. The RV32 has no chroma bug. No Panasonic models have had chroma bug up until this year's models, which changed to a new line of MPEG decoders that have chroma bug.

There is no player that has chroma bug in interlaced, but not in progressive. There are a handful of players that have chroma bug that are masked by the deinterlacer in progressive mode, but none of the Panasonics are in this group.

The S35, S55, and F65 are current models, and do have chroma bug.

The DMR-E50 does have chroma bug.

Trust me on this - I wrote the first article explaining chroma bug, and I've checked the players myself.

As for the original poster's question - all of them have chroma bug.

Don

Brajesh Upadhyay

Supporting Actor
Thankfully the new Pioneer DV-563A is chroma-bug free (at least I couldn't see it using the "Toy Story" & "Monsters Inc." DVDs).

David Susilo

Screenwriter
It's there albeit extreeeeeeemely minimal. You'll have to basically stick your eyes to the screen and try very very hard to find it.

but it's there.

Don Munsil

Stunt Coordinator
All the current models of Panasonic DVD recorder use the new MPEG decoder that has the bug, to the best of my knowledge. I've only personally seen two of the recent models, but it would be very strange for them all not to share a common design. Their first model or two from the previous model year may not have used that decoder, but I don't know.

Don

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks