Which of the following flat tubes is best?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by WesleyF, Feb 12, 2002.

1. WesleyF

WesleyF Auditioning

I've been scanning the internet looking for a comparison of some 27" flat tube TVs and since I can't find any I figured I would ask in here! Can anyone tell me which is better out of the model below?

Toshiba 27" Flat Picture Tube Model 27AF41

Sony 27" Wega Flat Picture Tube Model KV-27FS13

Sharp 27" Flat-Screen TV Model 27R-FS1

Sanyo 27" Flat Screen TV Model DS27910

The prices are somewhat comparable and so are the features

from what I can tell. Anyone have any of the above sets that can tell me if they are good or bad??

2. Brian Johnston

A few months ago I was in the market for a flat screen TV and I ended up with the Sony. Based on some of the reviews and comments I read I narrowed my search down to the Sony or the Toshiba.

So I went out and did a few side by side comparisons. One salesman pointed out to me that the Toshiba model cheated a bit and was not quite as flat as the Sony picture, also the Sony showed a bit more of the picture that the Toshiba. This was more noticable on TV channels that were very busy (i.e. Shopping Channel, Channels with streaming tickers ). Side by side I could easily see that the Toshiba was croping the picture all the way around, whereas the Sony was showing everything.

I was looking at 32" and 36" screen and different models but there are some things to watch for. The best way to decide is to see for yourself.

Good Luck.

3. Paul_Dunlop

Paul_Dunlop Second Unit

Hi
    I vote for the Sony Wega - I have the 27FS12 and think it looks great
    I haven't experienced any of the issues that are posted on this site. (You should be aware of them though)
    Have fun shopping

4. WesleyF

WesleyF Auditioning

Thanks for the reply! I've actually looked at the TVs but

the problem is BestBuy doesn't have them close together so I could compare them! They have them seperated with a wall and they don't show the same thing so it's hard for me to see the difference. The features are all similar but thanks for the info about the Toshiba because I wouldn't known otherwise!

5. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    A good thing to do at places like Best Buy and Futureshop. Get them to haul down the three TVs you want to compare and place them side by side while turning all of the other TVs off. They will do this if you are serious about buying a TV that day.

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    You can't really compare them in a store, because they are not calibrated. Take a look at the calibration menus for each, as this can be a big factor. Of those listed, I would not get either the Sony or Toshiba. The Tosh has a great picture, while the Sony has a few more useful features. Personally, I would (and did) spend the extra $$ to get an FV instead of an FS.