What's new

Which new receiver? (1 Viewer)

tommy_E

Agent
Whats up everyone..

I am thinking about selling the Yammie HTR-5790. I have seen them sold used around $500 to around $520. If i do sell it which new receiver is a great buy for that $500 to $700 range? Thanks for the feedback..

Ps- I have the Athena AS-C1 and the AS-B1's...so let me know which receiver goes good...thanks

JackS

Supporting Actor
I'm not familiar with your Yamaha but if it sells used for about the same price you want to buy something new, I think you'd be better off staying with what you have.
Was there a particular "must have" feature that your looking for?

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I'd say either the HK 635 (as low as $655 online) or if ya wanna save a little money (even come out ahead) then the Pioneer 1014TX or 1015TX.

tommy_E

Agent
The main feautures im looking for is straight foward clean great sound...obviously dts..dobly decoding but i dont really care about it being "THX" certified..thats horse crap

thanks

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
There is NOTHING in that price range that you can get that your Yamaha 5790 doesn't give you right now. The 5790 is an awesome receiver that hasn't really aged one bit. Even the well loved Pioneer 1014/1015 wouldn't really be an upgrade. I say keep the 5790 for another year. There's still much enjoyment to be had out of that receiver.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
If the tested power output of the Yamaha RSX-V1400 is any indication (around 35 watts per channel all driven) then there's plenty you can pick up in the price range. The 1014 was tested at 115 w/ 5 channels driven. The HK 635 would add a much more indepth auto eq system that includes a subwoofer eq. Adding a BFD to do sub EQ w/ the 5790 would be another $100 atleast, so the added power of the 635 along w/ the sub EQ makes that about the same price as the 5790 and a BFD w/ the addition of a stronger amp section.

Himanshu_S

Stunt Coordinator
I have the 5790 and no it doesn't put out 35wpc when all channels driven. This reciever has more than enough power. However, if you're in the market for another reciever, the HK AVR-635 is probably the next best upgrade. I am not a pioneer fan...thats all I can say about that.

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
That is a very misleading post Stephen and an unfair comparison. Why do you mention a suspect rating on the Yamaha w/ all channels driven (only one or two receivers actually meet their published specs w/ all channels driven anyway), but you mention the Pioneer w/ only 5 channels driven? With such a test, of course the Pioneer will rate higher. Although your post seems to indicate that the Pioneer is vastly superior to the Yamaha, in a real world listening environment this is simply not true. If you were to listen to both receivers side by side, most people would be hard pressed to notice a difference in terms of power.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
The 1400 didn't measure much better with only 5 channels driven, only around 45 x 5 if memory served. The 1014TX wasn't measured with 7 channels driven but I would imagine that if it were then it would come very close to or meet its published specs. While these power differences may not cause huge differences in sound quality it does make clear that there are better options within his budget. Either the 1014TX which has more power and all the same major features for less money, or the HK 635 which has even more features and most likely more power as well for within the budget he's allotted.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I'm inclined to agree. The 5790 isn't going to be significantly shown up by anything in this price range.

dobyblue

Agent
Real Name
Steve
I just bought the 1014TX on Saturday and am absolutely thrilled with it. I've matched it with a Sony 7.1 micro speaker system. The only area I'm let down on is the SUB - it's only 135W but really doesn't seem to even carry that well.
Unfortunately I can't return just the SUB, so something needs to be done. The Infinity PS12-12 (12" 300W) SUB looks pretty nice, but I think I'd have to buy a 5 spreaker system and add two more to get back to 7.1
Decisions, decisions, decisions.
Incidentally to the person that says THK Select 2 and EX certification is a load of crap - whay would you say that? I mean honestly to ask for your opinion as to why this feature is not necessary.

John S

Senior HTF Member
THX select, THX Ultra, THX Ultra2 are badges. You get equipment without it that will blow equipment with it away and you also get the reverse too.

The Select badge is enough of a step down to be even more meaningless. I mean I can certify anything if I make the space small enough.

Not sure what else to say on the subject, and I use a THX Ultra Certified piece or two in my system.

Only a THX Ultra2 cerified sub really impresses me all that much. For a sub that is a tough standard to hit for sure.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Ever seen a list of what did not merrit certification / was rejected a cert?
Nearly everything decent will hit the Select cert.

Manufactures pay big bucks for the cert label and submitt equipment for certification.

It is not like THX on their own accord goes out and tests components and only certs the ones that meet the muster.

Leigh_M

Stunt Coordinator
Any particular reason you are not happy with the 5790?

I have been very happy with my Yamaha RX-V630, but I decided to pick-up a pioneer 1014 just to try out some of the new features. I've only had the pioneer one day, so the jury is still out, however, here are some initial observations:

1.) Set-up on 1014 was very slick, should be similar to your 5790
2.) I could definitely tell a difference in surround effects. More pronounced on the 1014.
3.) Not sure if I like the Eq. setting. I've been turning it on and off but I'm not sure I like the "corrections".
4.) I cannot tell any difference in power. I don't push my system. Room is 20x12x10.
5.) IMHO, yamaha sounded more musical with soundtracks. I'll spend more time in the next couple days with music and movies before I make the final call.

IMHO, unless you jump up quite a bit in price, you will not see much benefit over your 5790.

tommy_E

Agent
Leigh_M....i dont know after it froze on me I got a little nervous.

Yamaha contacted me back and said that "its simply just one of those instances"....um ok? just one of those instances when people had this problems with this receiver? And im only 16, so my budget isnt that high lol i dont wanna go around buying...so i dunno

confused and mad lol:angry:

Craig W

Second Unit

I agree that the certification is little more than marketing hype. But I disagree that THX is useless. Many here are overlooking the fact that every receiver that bears a THX label does THX post-processing.

Many tracks are mixed hot for a movie theaters X-curve. THX processing takes care of it for the home environment.

The problem is that some soundtracks are remixed for the home theater environment and don't require any post-processing. Some discs advertise this fact while many others don't. So the question of which DVDs to use the THX processing remains. Usually if a soundtrack sounds overly bright/harsh in the upper end I apply THX and it takes care of the track or at least makes it a little less grating on the ears.

Himanshu_S

Stunt Coordinator
Hey tommy_e,

what have u done so far in terms of your receiver issue? is it working now or u r in the market for a new one?

-Himanshu

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Steve Latshaw
Recent bookmarks