Which New DVD Player........for $200?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Silla, Aug 6, 2001.

1. Michael Silla

Michael Silla Second Unit

Jul 27, 2001
    I have finally begun to tire of my current HTPC (Hollywood plus with remote) setup and I am ready for my first standalone player. I almost bought the Pioneer DV-434 progressive scan player that I saw at Costco this weekend for $189. I decided to hem and haw some more. So what do you all think?. Does anyone have this player?. Does anyone have an alternate suggestion?.
    I don't have a great TV. It's a 27 inch Trintron without S-Video (ugh, I know....) but It's not going to be here forever so I wanted to get a progressive capable scan player for the future.
  2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Mar 28, 2000
    Michael, this topic was discussed here recently. The following link might prove helpful:
    The Pioneer DV-434 is not a true progressive scan player as it does not perform 3:2 pulldown. It was discontinued recently in favor of the DV-444, but I'm not sure if the '444 is a true progressive scan player either. Maybe others can comment on this further.
    HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
    KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime