Which NCAA 2003 football is better... XBox, PS2, or Gamecube

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Holton, Jul 31, 2002.

1. Jeff Holton

Jeff Holton Stunt Coordinator

I'm trying to decide which platform to get this game for...

Has anyone played this game on multiple platforms?

Or, just give me your impressions on the platform you have played it on.

thanks

2. Brandon_H

Brandon_H Stunt Coordinator

Haven't played it on multiple platforms. I own last year's PS2 version, and this year's Xbox version.

I would say, from what I've read and seen, that the Xbox version wins. . . but only by a hair. It has some slight graphical enhancements, as well as the Xbox's inherent abilities to play in 5.1 surround and 480p.

3. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

I don't have multiplatforms either, but I will say that I absolutely love my XBox version. 480p, 5.1 sound, hard drive to store all my season and dynasty stats...wow!

The gameplay is *so* much better than Madden 2002 was on the XBox. I was a lifelong Madden fan (since Genesis and PS1 days) and couldn't for the life of me play Madden 2002 on the XBox. I was afraid I'd be let down but the fact that college football is starting soon made me buy NCAA 2003 anyway. I was able to play it and do well within the hour! Granted I'm only on Varsity level, soon I'll crank it up to All American and then Heisman. I haven't heard compelling arguments that say one is better than the other. Of course the memory card (or lack of it) and 480p is the whole reason I went XBox in the first place.

4. William Ward

William Ward Supporting Actor

PS2 Pros: controller, 16/9, decent on memory card
    PS2 Cons: No 480p, No 5.1

XBOX Pros: 480p, 16/9, 5.1 sound, memory
    XBOX Cons: Controller maybe....

GCube Pros: 480p, 16/9
    GCube Cons: Memory, Controller(one less button than PS2), no 5.1

From what I've gathered, theres no major differences in actual game play other than technical and platform based specs(memory) between the three... I got cube because I don't have a BOX and like the 480p over the PS2.....

5. Carlo Medina

I have to agree that being a PS1 user the original XBox controller took a little getting used to. The stiff arm button is a little out of the way.

But I'm going to buy an XBox Controller S which has the stiff arm button closer to where my finger can reach it. the other buttons are fine. YMMV.

6. Willy burz

Willy burz Stunt Coordinator

I gotta say the Cube controller works great, I see no problems in that department whatsoever. Especially the wavebird, nobody will play the other versions my roomates have cause they love the wavebird. [​IMG]
    I would have to say the PS2 controller sucks because of the location of the analog stick, for the love of god put it where it should be... swap it with the dpad so up is not at an angle!

7. Dave_Brown

Dave_Brown Supporting Actor

I've only played the PS2 version and have to say it's been an enjoyable game so far. I don't know if there is much of a difference in the consoles in regards to graphics, but the PS2 looks and feels good to me.

I took a couple years off from playing any football titles and have to say that playing this game has been an enjoyable experience and well worth the wait. I'm really looking forward to NFL 2K3 as well.

8. Jim J

Jim J Second Unit

oooh

I little off-topic, but I need help

I have this game on a demo disc from a magazine. x-box. How to I hike the Ball??? Sometimes I'm successful. Most times I get delay of game.

thanks

9. Jeff Holton

IGN just posted their multi-platform comparison... and they rate the X-Box version the best. In my experience, IGN is usually dead on when it comes to game reviews...

So....

X-Box it is!

10. Damien

Damien Supporting Actor

you guys, ea butchered the x-box version. I only own xbox but i advise anyone with a choice to get the PS2 version! Mine will be going back when NCAA 2K3 arrives.
    -swat doesn't work, ruins game since computer uses it every time. they complete passes you cannot because you do not have the ability to swat.
    -on x-box helmet pops off up to 3-4 times a game, at least once or twice. PS2 is very rare to never each game.
    -x-box has an abundance of 1-handed catches, again ps2 is very rare.
    -xbox still has jaggies, although it looks better still than the ps2 version
    -games freezes during dynasty games
    -5.1 is pretty good, but not a difference maker
    -another huge thing, ps2 has FOUR mostly nice, I assume, controller configirations. x-box has 2 crappy ones that don't even use all the buttons.
    If EA continues this with future xbox games they won't ever get my money again

11. Jeff Holton

I think another big reason I went ahead and got X-Box is that I would have to buy at least 1, and maybe 2, extra memory cards for the PS2 or GC version...

Long live the hard drive!

12. Carlo Medina

Damien, reading your post confuses me:

1. All my XBox buttons are used (although some rarely because I don't use those functions much, but they do have a use).

2. The default button config for the XBox seemed very sensible to me, and I've played Madden for 10 years on Genesis and PS1 so if anyone would have probs with it, I would.

So basically, with those two points, you say the reason to get the PS2 version is because helmets don't pop off as much and there aren't as many one-handed grabs (of which I only get 2-3 a game at most)? Despite the fact that XBox has a built in HD (no mem cards), better graphics (and on my HDTV the jaggies are kept to a minimum, basically the goal posts), better 5.1 sound, 480p, and identical gameplay outside of the helmets popping off and one-handed catches?

13. Damien

Damien Supporting Actor

well for rushing white is not used(stiff arm and switch ball one button - couldn't they at least made white so it would be left/right stiff arm). i've still haven't found a way to check stamina during play. qb slide for me doesn't work all the time. they should of let you change the shoulder and b/w button configeration yourself freely. for passing they should have a max passing option(i don't think ps2 has this either though). I do like the coach cam/hot routes and the defensive shifting to me its the only real highlight of the interface. recieving is nice besides the multiple one handed catches which look very arcadey and out of place for a sim. white is not used on defense either, and on ps2 if i'm not mistaken uses all the buttons. All the differences up here are just weird realism diffs. that i've found, not too important i guess.

but you didn't mention the swat button, i'm not going to explain it again the fact that the swat button doesn't work for xbox cripples the game. the cpu uses it all the ime on you, yet you never get to use it on them. the control is pretty big too b/c they could of just added custom control mapping. Midway's titles have this!! i have 2000 for ps1 and i am just not having as much success with moves mapped on one button instead of two.

like i said, sound and hdtv are very minor to me, the only thing i may miss with the xbox version is the memory card.

14. Carlo Medina

I guess that you're way more advanced of a player than I am. There is *no* way I am dexterous enough to use all the button configs you seem to want when the action is rushing by onscreen. There's already more than enough buttons for me on any of the versions. And the buttons I use most are the most easily accessible.
    As for the swat, it works for me. Granted not as well as the computer, but I think that's applicable for *all* the commands: the computer seems to stiff-arm better, juke better, spin better, etc. etc. If it didn't, I'd blow out the computer all the time. As it is, I have to bump it up to Heisman for the computer to beat me, and it does it by cheating and reading my plays. [​IMG]
    And as I said, a few one-handed catches a game doesn't make it arcadey for me. I have season tix to UCLA and I see a few a game there as well, they aren't as rare as they used to be.

15. Doug Schiller

Doug Schiller Supporting Actor

I have the Xbox game and have no problems swatting.

Face it, they are the same game engine. If you own the Xbox version, how are you so sure the PS2 isn't the same?

Its going back when NCAA2k3 comes out??? Are you saying you are renting it for free from the store?

Doug

16. Damien

Damien Supporting Actor

Doug, here is my opinion. The X-box version cannot be finished if all these odities are occuring exclusively for x-box. Now if you have an xbox version that has a 100% functional swat button i will be relieved due to the fact that there may be good copies out there!
    So Doug, I'll use the DEFAULT configiration as grounds for this:

When you press the L-TRIGGER, and lets say the cpu. has a step on you doing a go route up the left sideline, your defender gets his hand up in the air and smacks the ball down? In my version my defender won't do a damn thing. I tried it in practice with different plays, NOTHING happens. Guess what happens when I'm on offense: If my guy has a step on a guy or looks open i throw it to them. at the last second the ball is batted down. ok that's cool we have a smart ai. but it ruins the game when the computer gets the ball and throws the same kind of pass i do and completes the pass, since i have no way to swat the ball down like they always do. That is grounds for the game to be returned to the store(ncaa 2k3 will come out way before the store warranty comes out.). i've talked to people with the PS2 version and also checked on message boards and reviews to confirm this information.

17. Carlo Medina

Are you sure your button works? [​IMG]
    I do exactly what you're describing and can swat it pretty easily. Sounds like Doug can too. What team do you use? Maybe your corners are not very good and hence don't swat the ball well. I use UCLA who has a great cover corner in Ricky Manning. He gets his hands on the ball a lot.

18. Carlo Medina

Oh and one more question: what store are you buying from that just lets you return opened games? I've got to start shopping there!

19. Damien

Damien Supporting Actor

I picked it up on the 22nd at Gamestop - I'm repeating myself a lot in this thread in regards to explaining why i can take it back.
    If you bought Halo and when you press L-trigger and it doesn't throw a grenade, would you keep it or take it back? Look though the grunts and elites keep throwing grenades at you at this one part, but you can't do nothing about it since you can't throw grenades, yet it says in the manual it's L. That made up example is no different here, that means i have a DEFECTIVE COPY, but it seems like as I do more research it seems like almost every xbox copy is defective. Besides the game has frozen on me, once during a dynasty game. I still can't get fair catches to work properly on punt returns, punt returns don't work at all anyway(2000 had all of these complaints right, that is why i am so peeved about these problems - see ea just takes out feartures and makes problems so they have something to fix for next year. I remember madden 96' for snes having some sort of training camp option, and the ps1 maddens had create-a-play). The control problems are annoying but not crippling, but i can't live without a swat button. also the fact that helmets pop frequently as well as 1-handed catches shows this is a buggy, incomplete game. EA did the exact same thing with the PS2 version last year, what they will do is rerelease(cross your fingers for xbox) a new copy withing a few weeks, by then they can just kiss my a$$. It baffels me how a large company can have staff that somehow can make an xbox version of a game worse then a PS2.

20. Doug Schiller

Doug Schiller Supporting Actor

Not only does the swap button work on my Xbox copy, I purposely tried to swap every pass to test it because of this thread.

I got a campus challenge bonus of 12 points because I swapped the ball 10 times with Cromartie on the Gators!

There are times when it seems it doesn't work but it seems like a timing issue to me. I don't switch to the corner back until the last minute.

And I don't see the CPU getting any type of advantage on swats. The AI does cheat so sometimes I think it makes you drop a pass depending on the situation.

Doug