Which movie director is worth more: Lucas or Spielberg?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave H, Mar 18, 2002.

1. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Just wondering who has more money: Lucas or Spielberg. I was discussing this with someone recently and he claimed Spielberg is wealthier. I would have thought the Star Wars trilogy would have put Lucas higher. Do you know where any of this is verifiable?

2. AaronP

AaronP Stunt Coordinator

I think Speilberg's movies have grossed more money total, however if you're talking purely about that individual's wealth, I would have to say Lucas is probably worth more, because of all the merchandising money he made off Star Wars. I think I read awhile back that Lucas' whole empire is worth around 1 billion dollars. Speilberg is filthy rich too with his Dreamworks affiliation and all that. Both have hundreds of millions at least.

3. Terrell

Terrell Producer

Lucas is worth way more than Spielberg. But Spielberg's movies have grossed more, because he's a great director that has directed many more films than Lucas. I believe Forbes listed Lucas' worth at a staggering 3 billion dollars. Spielberg is rich and powerful, but he's not a billionaire, I don't believe.
    I just checked, and Lucas is the 127th richest person in the world, with a worth of 3 billion dollars. Follow the link below.
    http://cgi.theforce.net/theforce/tfn.cgi?storyID=14593

4. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Which would a studio pay more for? I would say Spielberg.

5. Micheal

Micheal Screenwriter

Did you notice that Spielberg is 191 on the list at 2.2 billion? Not too shabby! If Dreamworks keeps doing as well as it is now it looks like he'll pass GL somewhere down the road.

6. Luc D

Luc D Second Unit

This argument doesn't really work. Lucas isn't "for hire" the way Spielberg is. Once the new trilogy is over Lucas will be finished with filmmaking. Saying a studio would pay more for Spielberg is irrelevant as the same studio wouldn't ask Lucas to direct one of their films.

7. Terrell

Terrell Producer

Hmm, didn't see Spielberg. Lucas probably passes 5-6 billion after the next two films are released. He gets most of that since he pays for everything. Spielberg probably upped his after getting involved with Dreamworks. Needless to say, both are filthy rich.

8. Josh_Hill

Josh_Hill Screenwriter

I dont really think this is fair since Speilberg has made about 20 films and Lucas as only directed 5. But if your counting all his companies, than Lucas wins since almost every film as some aspect of him in it, THX, Skywalker Sound, ILM, etc.

9. Tom Ryan

Tom Ryan Screenwriter

The key here is marketing and merchandising. Star Wars (1977) was the first film to really take advantage of a marketing bonanza in tandem with its release (posters, games, action figures, etc.) and George Lucas secured the rights to it ALL prior to Star Wars' debut. So Spielberg's films have actually grossed more than Lucas', but Lucas rakes it in using other methods.

-Tom

10. Guy Martin

Guy Martin Second Unit

I remember reading somewhere (I think it was Forbes) that Spielberg is worth $2 billion and Lucas $3 billion. Of course that's on paper ie stocks, real estate, etc. in terms of liquid cash assest, probably only a few hundred million each, tops.

- Guy

11. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

12. TerryRL

TerryRL Producer

According to Forbes magazine's list of the wealthiest Americans, Lucas has a personal net worth of $3.5 billion and Spielberg's personal net worth is $3.0 billion.

Lucas' top assets...

Industrial Light & Magic (includes LucasDigital)

Lucasfilm Ltd. (includes Skywalker Ranch)

LucasLearning

Major Hasbro Stock Holder

THX (includes Skywalker Sound)

Star Wars franchise

Indiana Jones franchise

Spielberg's top asset is DreamWorks SKG. Most of his money is earned from the films he's directed. Spielberg commands the highest salary of any director in Hollywood. He's also the highest paid producer in the industry.

Unlike Lucas, Spielberg doesn't own his movies (other than "E.T."). Lucas has been financing his own films since "The Empire Strikes Back".

According to a report CNN did last year, Lucas' personal worth will exceed $5 billion after the prequel trilogy is completed.

13. Terrell

Terrell Producer

Lucas has said there are other films and projects he wants to do in life. That's why he isn't going to make any more Star Wars films after III. That, plus he only needs six films to complete the story, and he'll be too old to complete another trilogy. As for Indiana Jones, he owns that, but Spielberg will be directing that one again.

I personally would like to see Lucas make another fantasy series completely different from Star Wars. I'd like to see him try his haand at it.

Terry, the most recent Forbes said his net worth was 3 billion and Spielberg's is 2.2 billion. I provided a link to the story. You also forgot Skywalker Sound, unless you were including that in Skywalker Ranch. I believe Skywalker Sound is also the #1 sound facility for films in the U.S.

14. TerryRL

TerryRL Producer

I included Skywalker Sound with THX.

I misread the report. The numbers I put up were their projected net worths by the end of this year, my bad.

2002 is going to be a big year for both Lucas and Spielberg. Lucas has AOTC, as well as all the work ILM is doing for various films this year, he also has the AOTC toyline coming out, and the VHS/DVD of AOTC is expected to hit shelves in October or November.

Spielberg has "Minority Report" and "Catch if You Can" hitting theaters this year, as well as the profits generated by the "E.T." reissue, the "Men in Black" sequel, and the many high profile projects DreamWorks has on tap this year.

These guys are simply rolling in it.

15. Josh_Hill

Josh_Hill Screenwriter

Yep, its certainly gonna be a Speilberg and Lucas year!

16. Kirk Tsai

Kirk Tsai Screenwriter

Diverging from the topic here, but I sincerely hope Lucas goes on with his filmmaking career after the Star Wars prequels. Granted, we can all argue that Lucas may not be the best of directors or even writer, but he has had vivid and imaginitive ideas. I believe he once said he has too many ideas for him to ever film them in his lifetime. Yeah yeah, filmmakers like to brag about that kind of stuff, but I certainly hope he brings his ideas to the screen instead of simply being the head of a few leading companies. He has the resource to do anything, and it would be great to see a brand new world of his.