which Monster Cables...

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by kenny_c, Aug 19, 2003.

1. kenny_c

kenny_c Auditioning

Here's what I have(or will have)...
    -Toshiba 51H83 HDTV
    -Toshiba DVD 3900
    -Yamaha Receiver(either 5640, 5650, 5660)
    -JBL N38II x 4
    -JBL 12" PB12 SUB
    -JBL S-CENTERII center speakers

I need cables to hook up my setup.
    Anyone have experience the M-series, Z-series, or the 300-series video and audio cable?
    Also I need to get educate on some monster speaker wires/cables. On the monster site, they have specific cables for the home surround systems and just music speaker cables. Any help or comments would be appreciated!

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Honestly, I would look into something other than Monster for interconnects, or at least use the 600 or 800 series THX ones. THX doesn't matter, but these are decent interconnects. Take a look at Acoustic Research interconnects at www.partsexpress.com, less expensive, same result.

Their speaker wire is OK, but more expensive than other wire that is about as good. Parts Express carries Sound King OFC speaker wire that should work just as well.

I would recommend S series mains to go with the S series center.

3. Jon_Welker

Jon_Welker Second Unit

4. Chas_T

Chas_T Supporting Actor

Kenny,

The only thing I can add to your post is the advise you are being given is quite good. Monster products are generally overpriced IMHO and many of the sites and manufactuers suggested are better choices. Again, IMHO.

5. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi Kenny. Welcome to HTF!

First you have to chant this rule to yourself:

Budget 10% of the electronics cost for the wires

So take 10% of those speaker prices and spend NO MORE than this amount on the wires.

Speaker Wire:

The 12 ga at Home Depot is quite good. A lot of us buy a spool of Sound King brand from www.partsexpress.com and use it everywhere.

No, all your speaker lengths do NOT need to be the same.

Yes, you have to run THICKER wire to the rears, not thinner.

Subwoofer Cable:

The low frequency demands mean that nearly ANY good RCA cable will work. I am currently using a 25 ft white run of CATV coax from Radio Shack and 2 "F-to-RCA-Male" adaptors. Total cost about $9

Coaxial Digital (DVD to Receiver):

This is simply a Video Cable. (It's what the designers had in mind when they came up with the SPDIF format). Get a AR Pro video cable from Best Buy/Sears for the coaxial-digital connection. About $10-20.

Component Video Cable:

This is where you should buy better-than-average. (What's more sensitive your ears or eyes?). Only buy Monster if you find a cable that says "HDTV" or "Progressive Scan" compatible. And remember to follow the 10% rule.

The links that John gave you to places like BetterCables will fall below the 10% number, and WILL be compatible with HD video. You want a cable to go straight from the DVD player to the TV.

Follow these guidelines to avoid over-buying. You will save money where it's not needed, and spend money where it's important.

Hope this helps.

6. kenny_c

kenny_c Auditioning

Thanks a lot guys! Reason why I'm getting monster is only beacause I get a BIG discount on them. I will keep all the tips in mind! Thanks again!