Which Mits 65" to get?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Wade Shapiro, Jan 9, 2002.

1. Wade Shapiro

Wade Shapiro Extra

Feb 15, 1999
    OK, I have to buy a new TV to replace a 7 year old Mitsubishi 70" that is dying. I want one of the Mitsubishi 65" widescreen models, but am unsure of which one to get. There is the

WS-65809 (Platinum)

WS-65819 (Platinum Plus)

WS-65859 (Platinum Plus + HDTV tuner)

WS-65908 (Diamond)

What are the real differences between the models and which ones are really worth the premium in price? Right now I am leaning towards the 65859 with the HDTV tuner just so it is all integrated. I know the diamond series has a nicer cabinet, but the TV will be in a custom built entertainment center where all you will see is the screen so fancy cabinets or better speakers are useless to me.

Thanks in advance for any help!

2. Chauncey

Chauncey Stunt Coordinator

Feb 26, 1999
    I would get the WS-65859 with the HD tuner included. These sets have the color decoder settings back in the service menu so you can correct the red push. For more info click here.
    The other models have the color decoder settings locked out of the service menu.
    Good Luck,
  3. Robert McDonald

Robert McDonald Stunt Coordinator

Sep 23, 1999
    Hello, Wade. What is everybody down there saying about Zook?
    On the RPTV, does Gainesville have local HD broadcasts yet? I just bought the 65819 (Platinum Plus without HD integrated). We are not expected to get any HD broadcasts up here at least until the end of this year, but probably longer [​IMG], so my rationalization was that perhaps in the next year the HD tuners would improve and/or drop in price, or if I wanted to get one now I could get a STB with a better line doubler for non-HDTV broadcasts.