Which Mirage speaker?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ricky c, Nov 1, 2001.

1. Ricky c

Ricky c Stunt Coordinator

I'm planning on putting some money down in the next 2 weeks on either the OM7 w/center or OM9 w/center.I can't decide which one.Can you guys help me out.Is there a big difference in sound between the two.I'll be powering w Marantz sr7000.I already have a sub.There is a $500.00 difference in price.I'll be getting a 25% discount.Is the OM7 worth the 500.00 increase over the OM9.Thanks,help me decide.

2. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

Ricky still haven't bought those Mirages? [​IMG]
    I generally recommend that you get the "best" mains that you can afford...you will be happiest in the long run this way IMHO.

3. Ricky c

Ricky c Stunt Coordinator

No i have not.Can't make up my mind which to get.Also waiting for the sale that's coming up in 2-3 weeks.Then i'll put them to the side.

4. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

Another thing to consider...if you listen to both the OM7 and OM9 and do not find a "significant" performance increase, then go with the OM9's.

5. MatthewJ S

MatthewJ S Supporting Actor

what sub do you have?

6. Karim Nogas

Karim Nogas Stunt Coordinator

Hi Ricky,
    I've been a long time user of Mirage speakers.
    Currently:
    L/R: OM-10
    Rears: OM-R2
    Sub: PS-10
    I also have the OM-C2 and C3 in another room.
    I'm of the minority opinion that the centre channel is not as important as is often described IF:
    a) you have great loudspeakers;
    b) prefer the phantom image and;
    c) do not have substantial seating off axis.
    If these are not the case, then go for the OM-C2 which is substantially better than the C3.
    According to the specs, the OM-7 should have a better sounding midrange since it has two cones decidated to it. With only one 8" cone for the lower frequencies, the OM-9 should actually produce more (but not necessarily better) base even though the OM-7 says it can go 8Hz lower. From experience with the OM-10s, this is highly doubtful.
    If you are using a high-quality sub like a SVS, then I would audition them both for what they produce outside of bass. If you can't tell a difference, go for the OM-9.
    If you are exclusively a HT person, then Mirage is a good choice and I would lean toward the OM-7s if you like its sound better. Don't just go by the price.
    But if you do plan to also listen to a variety of music, I can't honestly recommend Mirage. The bi-polar sound isn't ideal for accurate music reproduction.
    As always, your mileage may vary.
    Good luck!
    ------------------
    You don't need a centre channel.
    [Edited last by Karim Nogas on November 02, 2001 at 09:31 AM]

7. Rutledge

Rutledge Stunt Coordinator

This might be a little off topic, but i am wondering if Mirage will go back to the unpowered speakers anytime soon. I have listened to the OM series and just don't like the bass quality.
    I have been extaordinarily happy with my Mirage M-3's since 1992.
    Are you going to be using this system for mostly 2 channel
    or for HT?
    I would have to agree that the center channel is not that important with the mirage's. They put up such a large soundstage that the CC is mostly superfluous.

8. Hubert

Hubert Second Unit

Why are there people here, who are supposed to be knowledgeable, keep saying that the center channel is not needed? That is not true. It is needed. If you want proper presentation. That's like saying you don't need the left channel in a stereo setup. The center is needed and is the most important channel. Whatever you do, get a Mirage center channel.

9. Karim Nogas

Karim Nogas Stunt Coordinator

Hubert,
    We'll just agree to disagree. There's no point in getting into a DTS/DD, cable/non-cable debate which solves nothing and just leads to animosity.
    I realize I'm in the minority, but some of us actually prefer not using a centre speaker.
    To each his own...
    ------------------
    You don't need a centre channel.