What's new

Which MGM/UA titles should Sony re-issue with a new transfer? (1 Viewer)

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Wow many, many titles need to be redone. MGM was in the habit of porting laserdisc widescreen transfers to DVD and non-anamorphic.
A few more of the top of my head:

Bridge at Remagen
Devil's Brigade
Khartoum
The Hallelujah Trail

Guido Bibra

Stunt Coordinator
"The Hallelujah Trail" is actually available in R2/4 with a nice anamorphic transfer - taken from 35mm-elements in 2.35:1 and not the full-witdh 2.76:1 Ultra Panavision version, but the quality is much better than the letterboxed R1 disc. I can't imagine Sony restoring the movie from 65mm elements, so the R2 transfer is perhaps the best we're going to see...

Mark Anthony

Second Unit
All as Gordon mentioned plus

Thief (the longer cut with music remixed from multi-tracks)
Hound of The Baskervilles

M

Derek M Germano

Second Unit
Let me also add DEAD OF WINTER to the list of films needing a 16:9 upgrade. I'll definitely second the Hammer HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES for a 16:9 upgrade.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
New transfers; 16x9 OAR where applicable; with extras, particularly on the classic titles:
The Taking of Pelham 1-2-3
Summer Lovers w/vintage making-of doc
The Night of the Hunter w/doc, outtakes
Heaven's Gate w/doc
Remo Williams
The Apartment
Elmer Gantry
Sweet Smell of Success
F/X
Blow Out - would like to see some extras here
Manhunter - theatrical cut
Thief

Pipe dream - would love to see original opening logos on these films, especially the UA titles. The vintage Filmways intro/logo is on the laserdisc and early video editions of Blow Out and Summer Lovers, but the DVDs replace it with the Orion logo.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter

Yes! needs to be a 2 disc set: seamless branching BOTH the Theatrical and the Extended version; plus the half hour docu on "The Making of LIFEFORCE"
and anything else that can be scraped up. (loved that alien ship design)
Next, ANNIE HALL

Yes, PLANET OF THE VAMPIRES is now SONY property; MGM spent a great deal of time restoring it to an uncut state, but didnt make it anamorphic;
Interestingly, the Italian Medusa Edtion is said to be 16:9;
Oh-and I wish, now that the great Gregory Peck is gone that SONY would restore
and anamorphize ON THE BEACH

andySu

Senior HTF Member

I have that film, but its not the theatrical cut, it’s a special edition version with add scenes, can’t say I like it that much, I wouldn’t mind if they produced two versions of the film onto the same disc, like they did with, “The Abyss” still “Life Force” has a cracking Dolby film mix, released in 70mm six-track Dolby Stereo, 1985, this film freaked me out!

andySu

Senior HTF Member

The audio mix on “Wargames” the dialogue is all over the three-screen channels, talk about crosstalk! It should be isolated to the centre and remain there, I have to make slight changes to the front mix when playing this film, where I can send the information from the left and right screen channels, and place it to a simulated upper centre channel, with the original centre channel still playing discrete information like effects or music, but It’s the damn dialogue track that’s all over the fronts!

It’s not the only film I have where this problem occurs, “Apollo 13” “Cocoon” “Alien” “Aliens” “Star Trek II the wrath of Kahn” shall I go on! Thou the effects are still playing discretely it’s this frigging dialogue! Maybe our friend “Robert Harris” can answer this question?

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Rollerball, (original, of course) I have the japanese version and it IS annie! Nice new doc. too!

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure if it was in Sensurround, but the London premiere was in 70mm magnetic 6-track. I'm guessing that it wasn't. 35mm prints were 4-track stereo. The UK SE is excellent, especially the commentary by writer William Harrison (Mountains of the Moon) talking about his original short story, the production problems and how he feels about the film. Long overdue for a similar region 1 SE.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
anyone have a list of the dvds that have been sony-ified ?

i dont htink rollerball was sensurround.
i think only 3 were.
Midway
earthquake
Rollercoaster

Jae_E

Agent
Some of these have been mentioned in earlier posts, but here's my list... all non-anamorphic or pan and scan, I believe (except for The Apartment and Rob Roy, which are just plain bad):

Kiss Me Deadly
Moby Dick
12 Angry Men
Witness for the Prosecution
The Defiant Ones
The Hound of the Baskervilles
On the Beach
The Apartment
Judgment at Nuremberg
The Pit and the Pendulum
Tom Jones
Topkapi
The Train
The Graduate
Hell in the Pacific
Electra Glide in Blue
The Taking of Pelham 1,2,3
Annie Hall
Invasion of the Body Snatchers ('78)
The Great Train Robbery
Eye of the Needle
Prizzi's Honor
F/X
Hope and Glory
House of Games
No Way Out ('87)
The House on Carroll Street
I, Madman
The Mighty Quinn
The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert
Angels and Insects
Rob Roy
Ulee's Gold

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Excellent recommendations, Jay. I had forgotten about Hell in the Pacific; The Great Train Robbery; Eye of the Needle and Rob Roy - all very weak transfers and Crichton's commentary is not included on the UK edition, which is also non-anamorphic.

The Electra Glide in Blue DVD is fine, I feel; anamorphic 2.35:1 and director's commentary and intro.

Oh, add uncle Brian's, Blow Out to the list - I'd love to see a SE of my favourite De Palma film with a new transfer; the current image is a bit soft.

David (C)

Stunt Coordinator
RoboCop: using the Voyager transfer as a framing and color reference for both Theatrical and Director's editions.

Showgirls: using the original non-anamorphic transfer as a framing and color reference.

The Silence of the Lambs: using the Voyager transfer as a color reference.

john a hunter

Screenwriter
Very true.The present transfer is appalling.When you think that this film was shot in Super Panavision with ToddAO 6 track stereo, the quality should be superb not crap

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks