Which major DVD Studio are you most mad/ disappointed in?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Douglas Kalon, Apr 3, 2002.

1. Douglas Kalon

Douglas Kalon Stunt Coordinator

The studios I am most mad at is Universal, Columbia TriStar and 20th Century Fox. The reason is their re-issues of previous releases as newer Special Editions to only promote and or capitalize on the future release of a sequel at the theater's. This goes for Universal and Columbia TriStar for such releases as American Pie Ultimate Edition, The Mummy Ultimate Edition, Men in Black Deluxe Edition and Stuart Little Deluxe Edition and perhaps others I can't think of right now.

As for Fox, the reason I am mad at them is their recent plans to release pan and scan versions of their hit movies and to then pull the Widescreen Special Editions of the same movies. This in my opinion makes very little sense, since the DVD player base is still small compared to VHS and some consumers may just have gotten into DVD and will now simply miss out on the Special Editions.

Just my 2 cents.

What are your opinion's?

2. Dave_P.

Dave_P. Supporting Actor

Right now it's basically any studio that's trying to force Pan & Scam only discs on us, like Columbia, Disney & Fox (for starting to lean to the Dark Side).

3. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

I'll always loathe WB until they abandon the snapper.

Gawd I hate those things.

Jon

4. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

My signature says it all.

5. Chuck L

Chuck L Screenwriter

I think that I am most upset at any studio that still wants to turn it's nose up at people that: 1) want the film in the correct OAR, 2) that want to give into the mainstream poulation when we are the ones that made the DVD out to be what it is, and 3) any studio that continues to give in the civic and religious groups and site political issues over ratings and film content.

Guess that with the above I should stop watching film all together...

6. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Disney/Buena Vista/Miramax (don't know which has authority over my particular complaint) - issuing catalog titles, particularly classic foreign films, in subpar, non-anamorphic, ported-from-ancient-LD transfers.

If you can't do them right, license them to Criterion.

7. Tony_Faville

Tony_Faville Supporting Actor

Depends on the day but I tend to cuss Paramount more than any other. Prices are higher than the other main studios....they release too many barebones DVD's at the same price of the SE's they have graced us with.

8. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

9. Will K

Will K Screenwriter

10. Chuck L

Chuck L Screenwriter

Uncensored films are only uncensored when you don't know what is lacking from them...when you do...that means they have been cut to shreds...big difference.

11. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Artisian.
    They've had the rights to the classic Fleischer cartoons (Betty Boop, etc) since 1998, yet have not produced a single DVD. I guess they're too busy with Rambo: SE to do something really worthwhile. It's no wonder that I only have one Artisian DVD. [​IMG]
    I'm kind of disappointed in WB, Paramount, and Fox for not releasing any of their silents (Fox is releasing Sunrise at least...) despite a few with restorations already made. As far as I know, Ben-Hur, The Cameraman, The Unknown, He Who Gets Slapped, The Unholy Three, Greed, and The Crowd all have great laserdisc transfers (which are on shown on TCM periodically) and nice music scores (Ben-Hur has a digitally-recorded Carl Davis score) Paramount's silents could be in any form since I haven't seen the condition they're in. Fox's silents might need a ton of restoration done since some of their 1930's product has been proven to look kind of ragged (Heidi anyone?)
    While it's a shame these studios haven't released them to DVD, I doubt they'll make a whole lot of money off of the DVD's. I'm pretty sure Greed, Ben-Hur, and the Lon Chaney films have good marketability, though.
    Sure, I'd love to see these all tomorrow, but only if they're restored. For those who have seen the current VHS of The Cameraman, you know how crappy it looks.

12. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Warner.
    1) They have an enormous catalogue of Warner & MGM films, and except for a dozen DVDs a year, aren't releasing ANY of it. Cult works like Tod Browning's Freaks and the silent Lon Chaney material will probably NEVER see the light of day.
    2) Far too much P&S only material. Anything comedy or remotely family oriented is likely to get the shaft.
    3) They refuse to issue television properly in series sets, relying instead on best of crap. Friends looks like a step in the right direction, but I'm not putting the seal of approval on these characters yet.
    It's funny, they started off as the big champions of DVD but now are the very worst studio when it comes to DVD issues.[​IMG]

13. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

It's harder to say who I'm not mad at anymore.

These studios are ticking me off:

-Disney (MAR only releases)

-Columbia/TriStar (MAR only releases)

-Fox (trumpeting their MAR-only re-releases and bared down discs instead of SEs)

-Paramount (still have those barebones titles coming out at $24.99 SRPwhereas MGM does more for $14.99 SRP...at least they are devoted to OAR!)

14. Matthew Brown

Matthew Brown Supporting Actor

My biggest problems are with BUENA VISTA and Columbia Tristar.

Buena Vista buys the rights to foreign films and alters them for the North American audience. They are also trying to keep the originals from being sold in North America. I dread the news that they have the rights to THE KILLER and HARD BOILED.

Columbia because sometimes they try really hard with their Hong Kong movies, and other times they don't try at all. They are also guilty of renaming and giving only an English dub. They also found no problem in releasing DRUNKEN MASTER when Ron notified them after he received a screener that there was an audio problem. This is now confirmed by many who own this already so it appears all these DVD's are defective.

Matt

15. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

16. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Someone clue me in here: When did Fox announce that it was pulling its widescreen Special Editions? Do I have this right, that Fox is pulling some widescreen titles and replacing them with p&s versions? I knew about the p&s releases, but I wasn't aware of any announcement about pulling widescreen titles.

Though this is a poll of sorts, we'll let the thread remain here in "Software."

Somebody answer my question, though. Thanks.

17. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

Jack, to my knowledge they are not pulling them as such, but they are releasing downgraded single disc SEs of former 2 disc SES but these retain OAR. Alongside these are bare bones P&S releases.

Dan

18. Will K

Will K Screenwriter

19. Bill J

Bill J Producer

COLUMBIA TRI-STAR- MAR only

WARNER- snappers

FOX- releasing 2 disc SEs as 1 disc set, MAR releases

PARAMOUNT- barebones releases, where is the Apocalypse Now SE?

20. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Di$ney/ Mala Vista is fast becoming my most-hated company because they've been pricing several discs at $32.99 (this is after Fox wised up and ditched their $34.99 price) and now I've heard their threats to put out "kids' movies" only in pan and scan, including ones that were widescreen on laserdisc and new movies that will never be on laserdisc!

To me, the most UNFORGIVABLE sin one can commit is putting out a DVD only in pan and scan when the laserdisc was widescreen.