Which light to get for a 27" TV?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tim Holyoke, Feb 26, 2003.

1. Tim Holyoke

Tim Holyoke Second Unit

I've been reading about how you should have a light for your TV when watching movies in the dark. I just got a new 27" TV for my bedroom, and will be watching it in the dark quite a bit, should I get a light? The TV is in a normal entertainment center. What kind of light should I get? I'm looking for something cheap, so would getting a fixture and light from Home Depot be my best route? Also, where exactly should I put the light? Thanks.

2. James Zos

James Zos Supporting Actor

You want a 6500K daylight bulb. I think pet stores that sell aquariums might be your best bet. The light should go dead center behind the TV. You could attach it to the wall aimed at the back of the TV or attach it to the back of the TV aimed at the wall (I think the first is best.) You also might want to do a search on this topic as there have been several other related threads.

3. Mathew Shelby

Mathew Shelby Second Unit

What is the reasoning behind this (other than you will go blind)? Or is that the reason....

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

It reduces fatigue and strain on the eyes while preserving the darkened environment necessary for not washing out the picture.

5. James Zos

James Zos Supporting Actor

I myself have never had eye trouble watching a movie in a completely dark room. I actually like watching movies like that, because it makes everything else but the screen disapear. But...if you have a screen under sixty inches or so (mine is only 27,) then the theory is that your screen will not put out enough light in contrast to the darkness around it. Your pupils (I think that's the right term) aren't recieving enough light, and this actually affects the quality of the image you see. I've noticed that my sets image seems to improve with some ambiant lighting, so I keep it like that.

6. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    I just installed one for my 32", which happened to have a set of hooks for me to hang the fixture with a strand of wire (so handy). The 22" fixture I picked up from Home Depot for 19.00. The fluorescent tube (F15T8 - F15 referring to the wattage and T8 to the size, which correlates to an 18" long tube) was a little more difficult to track down. My Home Depot didn't carry the Philips 6500K model so I had to go to a local shop (all the better in my opinion). The tube cost me 11.50. It didn't occur to me to check the Pet Stores until later - online PetSmart showed a tube for 12.50 or so. So basically around 30.00. I think it's a great addition.

7. GeorgeAB

GeorgeAB Second Unit

G. Alan Brown
    For more complete information consult: www.ideal-lume.com

Best regards and beautiful pictures,
    G. Alan Brown

Insist on HDTV![​IMG]