Which LCD ?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Jim0de, Feb 22, 2005.

1. Jim0de

Jim0de Auditioning

Looking to buy a 32" or 37" LCD monitor as a second TV for the living room without spending a ton of money. Already spent that on my home theater, now I have to plese the wife. Any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated as I haven't done a lot of research on these. Thanks.

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

I'm going to move your post over to the Display Devices where you are more likely to get product recomendations.

3. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

What do you consider a TON OF MONEY? A 32" LCD HDTV pretty much starts at 3K and up depending on the brand; the Sony 32" high end set costs 5.5K. Of course you can go down to the 26 and 27" sets that'll set you back 1K - 2K. On the lowend, the Sylvania 15" LCD EDTV will set you back 320 bucks or there abouts. IMHO, you might as well get a portable DVD player with LCD screen if you're gonna go that small in screen size. In anycase, you can see that LCD TV's are pretty pricey. I don't know if I would consider a 1k - 2k buck TV as a "second."[​IMG] Do you already have a TV in the living room? If so, what make and model? I know the aesthetics of LCD and other flat panel TVs is what makes them so desireable, but to get a better understanding of your needs we would need to know what your budget for this item would be.

4. Jim0de

Jim0de Auditioning

Well I'd like to keep it under $2k. I'm not looking for an HDTV, just a good LCD set that my wife can enjoy. As far as the current set in there, it is a 27" Sony CRT that's sitting on a stand/wall unit. We're looking to recover some of the space in the room thus the LCD hanging on a wall looks like the way to go.

5. stephen la

stephen la Stunt Coordinator

since you have a 27" already
    its seems pricey to spend 1-2k on an lcd about the same size.
    I saw a 42" zeneth plasma for about 2,200 at best buy.com
    but most of the other brands lcd or plasma were alot more

I know you said you want to regain space in the room,
    but for the money I would get a 36" crt for 600 - 1000