Which Law and Order series is your favorite and why ?

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by BrucetDuncan, Feb 2, 2005.

1. BrucetDuncan

BrucetDuncan Extra

Of the 3 Law and Order TV shows currently on air, which 2 ones are your favorite and please say why, for each one named.

2. Anthony Moore

Anthony Moore Supporting Actor

I like the original and SVU.

I think it comes down to the actors that get the most screen time. Which ones do you like better?

My faves are Benson and Stabler (SVU). SVU also seems to have the most interesting crimes.

I DO NOT like the new episodes of the original, however. Im a fan of the days of STONE as the ADA. Also, Briscoe was a badass.

Criminal Intent does nothing for me. The detectives arent as interesting, and therefore after a few sample viewings when it first came on, i havent watched it since.

3. Mark Silver

Mark Silver Stunt Coordinator

The original and Criminal Intent. I like all three, but you asked for two. SVU is a lot more depressing overall thanthe others. Itdeals with the personal aspects of the crimes and the ramifications on the victims, and they always revolve around some sort of sexual assault.

Criminal Intent is a lot like a Sherlock Holmes mystery (which I enjoy) and the original, while admittedly deteriorating in rapid fashion, is still the gold standard when it comes to crime drama.

Just my two cents.

4. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Original by far.

SVU I find fairly disgusting - I can only take so many rapes and mutilation stories. Nothing to do with the quality of the show, just personal preference.

Criminal Intent - I watched 1 episode, and absolutely cannot stand D'Onofrio. Never again.

--
    H

5. Bryan Toth

Bryan Toth Stunt Coordinator

I've always preferred the original. Something about the format (half investigation / half trial) just works so well. SVU seems to be the "sleazy" cousin in a way (not a slam on the show, but the content) and I just never could get into Criminal Intent. I know a lot of folks think he's such a great actor, but I've never been a big fan of Vince D'Onofrio.

Bryan

6. Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S Producer

Elizabeth S
    I only watch "SVU" and the original, and "SVU" is my favorite. I love the chemistry between Benson and Stabler, as well as the darkness of the series. Benson's background often colors how we may perceive the crime through their eyes, and the "SVU" characters are shown to be more intensely and emotionally affected by their cases.

I have "L&O: CI" Season 1 on DVD, but have yet to view it.

7. LizH

LizH Second Unit

I like SVU.

Hargitay and Meloni have real chemistry together. [​IMG]

8. HowardPaul

HowardPaul Stunt Coordinator

I love all 3 series. If I had to rank them:

1-L&O original, first 2 years. 10/10
    2-L&O SVU, first year. 10/10
    3-L&O SVU current series. 8-9/10
    4-L&O CI, all of them.......... 7-8.5/10
    5-L&O original, current 7-8/10

My least favorite, I must admit to being in a minority, are many of the shows with the late Jerry Ohrbach. I found his snide sense of humor distasteful.
    Howard

9. MikeFR

MikeFR Supporting Actor

Criminal Intent is by far my favorite followed by SVU. The origninal just doensn't do it for me anymore. It's far too formulaic, to the point where you can predict which character will speak next and I don't really like the "ripped from the headlines" stories.

10. Britton

Britton Supporting Actor

My favorite shows were definitely from the Michael Moriarty and Chris Noth days of the original. The stlye of the show was less polished and that added to the realism of the series. It was almost like watching a documentary. I appreciated the depth and humanity that Moriarity brought to the show. And of course, Noth was just one cool cat. I thought he and Paul Sorvino made for a good team. Sorvino really classed up the joint. And Dann Florek was great as the constantly irate squad commander.

For some reason, as soon as Waterston came aboard, it seemed all the crimes started focusing on upper class wasps. New York is very diverse cultural and socially, and I really feel the show hasn't reflected that well at all in the later seasons. They never make episodes like "Mushrooms" from season 1 anymore.

Frankily, the quality of Law & Order in general went downhill once all these spinoffs started coming off the assembly line. The talent is getting spread way too thin, and the episodes are increasingly rely on being "ripped from the headlines". Law & Order has always done cases based on current news items, but it's just gotten worse. Also, I just can't buy Fred Thompson as a DA in NY.

11. SarahG

SarahG Second Unit

I actually like the spin-offs -- to me they gave L&O a much-needed facelift of interest and appeal.

I love Mariska Hargitay - I think she's a fabulous actress. I saw her interviewed on The View yesterday as I happened to catch a little daytime tv. She was really engaging and was really cute to Meredith Viera's son who apparently went to the show just to see Hargitay! He loves the Law and Order SVU! He's like 11! It was so cool. Kid totally ruled. Did anyone else see this?

12. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

That would require that guys admit they watched The View [​IMG]

I saw it. She looked great and was engaging. The kid reciting the intro was both cute and a little creepy. I hope the kid has only caught on lately, and hasn't been watching since he was like 8.

I heard that Christopher (Chris in SVU season 1) Meloni was on the Today show. I'm not sure why they decided to do promos now. Last night's episode of SVU did have the return of the gorgeous and capable Alex Cabot, but Mariska didn't plug that at all.

13. Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis Screenwriter

My favorite is SVU. I've been a fan of Chris Meloni from his days on OZ, and have followed Mariska Hargitay's career since her role as Carly Fixx on Falcon Crest. Around that time, Jane Wyman gave an interview in which she lauded Mariska's acting skills, and that caught my attention: if a newcomer gets such a glowing review from a legend like Ms. Wyman, you know that this is a performer to look out for. Indeed, Ms. Hargitay has indeed lived up to her promise, and then some!

So, when I heard that those two actors were to be teamed up in a Law & Order spinoff with L&O veteran Dann Florek and as a bonus, Richard Belzer reprising his Munch role from Homicide, I knew that was truly must-see TV. Justifiably, it is now the most-watched show in the entire L&O franchise. On this show, the emotions are up front with intense acting, and the crimes are just a little more unusual. The SVU characters are very passionate about their jobs: for them, the pursuit and capture of criminals is like a Medeival crusade, even at great cost to their personal lives. You don't see that on the parent show- although I loved the teaming of Chris Noth and Jerry Orbach (RIP). The Logan-Briscoe duo was it for me on Law & Order, and the show wasn't the same after Noth left and was replaced by Benjamin Bratt- kind of like having Kirk Cameron replacing Tom Selleck on Magnum, P.I.!!

I've only seen Criminal Intent a few times, so I can't really form an opinion there, but with the return of Chris Noth as Mike Logan (YES!!!!), I will be sure to watch. And here's hoping Trial by Jury is a big success- even without the sorely missed Jerry Orbach!

14. SarahG

SarahG Second Unit

Aha! But you admitted it! It's pretty entertaining at times -- those women, ya know?

15. Beau

Beau Supporting Actor

I only watch SVU. Never seen a full episode of the original or any of CI. Seen little parts of the original, but can never seem to sit through a whole episode. Not as compelling as SVU IMO.

16. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Incorrect thread

17. Britton

Britton Supporting Actor

This really adds nothing to the discussion, but I came across an awesome Vanity Fair photo of the entire L&O cast from the first 14 seasons. Everyone is there except for Michael Moriarty, Steven Hill and Dianne Wiest. And the signs of Serena Southerlyn being a lesbian can be seen in this picture. She's checking out Jill Hennessey!

http://www.lawandorder-fr.com/photos...3_1024-669.jpg

18. SarahG

SarahG Second Unit

hahaha! She is!