Which Laurel and Hardy?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Bruce White, Mar 29, 2004.

1. Bruce White

Bruce White Stunt Coordinator

I've done some reading (mostly on this site) on the various Laurel and Hardy sets available in the UK, Germany, and The Netherlands. Is there a consensus on which is THE set to get? Will any of them play on my Panasonic RP91? Is there any news of a US set of similar quality? What is the availability of these sets in the US?

Thanks in advance for any information!!

2. Alistair_M

Alistair_M Second Unit

3. Ryan Belfast

Ryan Belfast Stunt Coordinator

Im goin for the UK 21 Disc Boxset!
    Absoltley Amazing Stuff!

4. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

wow what a great site

Thanks

[​IMG]

edit

VOL. 21: Special Bonus Disc (available only in the box set)

BRATS (1930)
    HINTER SCHLOSS UND RIEGEL (1931)
    THUNDERING FLEAS (1926)
    FLUTTERING HEARTS (1927)
    PRUDENCE (1927)
    LAUREL & HARDY - A TRIBUTE TO THE BOYS

This Bonus Disc contains two Laurel & Hardy rarities: the original 1930 version of Brats with the original music score, art-deco style opening titles plus the long-missing introductory gag card (a later, reissue version of this short appears in vol. 5), and a short reel of clips from Hinter Schloss und Riegel, the German version of Pardon Us (which appears in vol. 19), remade by Laurel & Hardy with the aide of language coaches and prompt boards.

Also included are three related films - two of them featuring Oliver Hardy - which form a ÔsamplerÕ of other Hal Roach comedies. In Thundering Fleas, Oliver Hardy appears alongside ÔOur GangÕ regulars as a cop whose uniform is suddenly occupied by the energetic refugees from the flea circus - and who has to improvise a semblance of decency after the disappearance of his trousers! Also present are Laurel & HardyÕs future foil James Finlayson and, beneath a large prop moustache, star comic Charley Chase. Fluttering Hearts is a Charley Chase two-reeler with a pre-Laurel & Hardy appearance of Oliver Hardy, and Prudence is a Max Davidson comedy, reportedly written by Stan Laurel (although the official story credit belongs to Hal Roach). To round off this bonus disc is a documentary tribute to Laurel & Hardy, hosted by Dom Deluise with comments from - among others - Johnny Carson, Walter Matthau, Chuck McCann, Steve Allen, Rich Little, Dick Martin, the Smothers Brothers and Henny Youngman.

that is some special disc indeed, so better start saving for the whole box set

5. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins
    I thought Sons Of The Desert looked spectacular on the Kinowelt release. However, the upcoming Dutch release could be even better judging from these screen shots. Whatever you get, avoid the US release from Artisan!

Jeff

6. Matt Stieg

Matt Stieg Stunt Coordinator

I'm going with the Dutch set, a lot easier and cheaper to collect than the UK releases; three box sets with everything plus a bonus disc in August (as opposed to 21 separate discs).

7. Derek_McL

Derek_McL Second Unit

Over at the regional DVD section theres loads more info on this. The extra disc on the British set is pretty disappointing I would say. The documentary on it commits the ultimate sin of presenting the classic talkies in garish colourised versions ! There are also for some bizarre reason no Stan Laurel solos.

The rest of the British set does have the advantage for the real diehards of fascinating foreign language cuts and it does come in a nicely presented box. You're paying a lot though and why have they included colourised versions of every talkie !? That's a criminal waste of disc space. For UK folk it will probably be the easiest to get hold of. The Dutch set is cheaper and has a few advantages of its own : it includes four features not in the British set : Fra Diavolo (The Devil's brother), Bonnie Scotland and the two old reliables Babes In Toyland and The Flying Deuces. Its also for the most part presented in chronological order which I think is quite neat better than the dubious themes of the British set though there are some tempting combinations of titles I must admit.

8. Anthony Neilson

Anthony
  9. Bruce White

Bruce White Stunt Coordinator

Thank you all so much for the input!! I will check out all the suggested links!