Which laptop?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eric Samonte, Aug 10, 2002.

1. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

My wife's got $2K for one. Any candidates out there?

2. Darren Lewis

Darren Lewis Supporting Actor

Really depends what features you want. I would advise to go with a big-name brand for laptops (eg Sony VAIO or Dell or Compaq). Also get a good the spec you think will last a couple of years. Laptops are very difficult to upgrade beyond adding a bit more RAM.

3. Peter-PP

Peter-PP Stunt Coordinator

With $2K, you can get a very powerful custom built desktop that you can have upgraded whenever you want and easily repaired.

With a notebook, you are stuck with it, harder to upgrade and cost more to repair and much harder to repair as well.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Pete

4. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

I've had two Gateways from work over the years and they have both been problem free.

5. Steven K

Steven K Supporting Actor

I have a Dell Latitude P4 1.8 GHz, with a Gig of RDRAM, 8x CD-RW, 60 GB HD, with 2 USB 2.0 ports, a Firewire port, NIC and modem, and Airlink Wireless card. This set my company back about 4 grand (I dont know why), but you can easily get this for around 2.

6. Eric Samonte

The notebook is for the wife and her's alone I guess. I already built my own desktop a few months ago so I'm all set for the next year or so.
    We're looking at the Toahiba 5105 series with the almighty 32 MB Geforce4 440 Go. Its a good looking machine with most bells and whistles. What I don't understand is why are the floppy drives disappearing from laptops.
    Also if anyone has any input regarding Toshibas extended warranties. I hear its far more better than BB or CCs.

7. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

Floppy drives are never used anymore. Its about time they start disappear from windows based laptops. They've been gone from macs for awhile now. I've got a floppy drive in my computer that I built about 3 years ago and I think I've maybe used it once.

I'm currently debating getting a dell inspiron 4150, I think dell makes the best laptops.

8. Andrew Grall

Andrew Grall Supporting Actor

Dell makes very nice notebooks...

9. AllanN

AllanN Supporting Actor

My standard response every time this tread comes up:

GO DELL OR GO HOME!!!

Dell's reliability and service are far above any other company I have seen. This comes from personal experience owning a Dell laptop, knowing other that have Dell laptops and using them at work. If you do order a dell ill just say it in advance "Dude, your getting a Dell!"

10. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

Any chance of an Apple? The iBook is a great laptop.

iBook:
    12.1" LCD
    700mhz G3 Processor
    128mb ram
    20GB hard drive
    Combo Drive (Play DVDs and burn CDs)
    $1499

For $1799 you can get the 14.1" LCD model, which has 256mb ram and a 30gb drive.

MacOS X is an amazing OS. And the battery life is also pretty amazing. I've gotten 5hrs with my Powerbook G4. My coworker gets about the same with his 12.1" iBook.

11. Ben Menix

Ben Menix Stunt Coordinator

Personally I would go with either a Sony VAIO or Apple iBook. I have had the best luck with these two brands; very durable and capable (of course, the iBook depends entirely on whether your wife uses or wants to use Macs, I guess, but they are excellent machines). I've had 50/50 success with Compaq, Micron (the Transport ZX series seems to be the best, in my experience), and HP; and not good luck at all with Dells or Gateways. Both companies DO have excellent customer support...what has irked me as a network administrator using Dells and Gateways is that I end up USING their customer support to get parts, and whole laptops, replaced so frequently. YMMV, though.
    My 2 cents,
    Ben Menix
    [email protected]

12. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

What matters most to your wife? Do you need an integrated floppy and DVD, or can it be swappable (you have the DVD drive in there most of the time, and when you need the floppy, you can hot swap it into the place your DVD drive is)? What weight range do you want to stay in? Does weight matter? Does she do any 3d gaming? Does she like touchpads or eraser pointers?

13. Eric Samonte

Weight would matter a bit but not much I guess. It would be a minor annoyance not to have a floppy but she would do fine with the CDRW. NO gaming for her..maybe when my son uses it...oo maybe me occasionally. She loved or is used to the touchpad on her previous Vaio.

14. Mike_G

Mike_G Screenwriter

Mike
    I have a Dell Inspiron 8200. LOVE IT, but DVD playback is choppy. I've tried EVERY SINGLE TRICK and nothing works. DMA, hardware accel., updates, 2 different apps, nothing.

It's heavier than I'd like.

I opted to NOT get the floppy.

It has S-Video, Composite video, and Digital audio output. SWEET!

However, I too have to chime in for the Mac. I had a TiBook, loved it TO DEATH, but had to turn to the dark side. If your wife is doing simple net stuff, take a look at the iBook (not the Titanium one...might be too much $$$).

Mike

15. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter

The 12" iBook weighs about 5 pounds (about as light as full-featured notebooks get). The 14" one is 6 pounds.

A lot of full-featured PC notebooks are heavy (7-9 pounds), but you can find some 5.5 - 6 pound ones.

There are some PC notebooks that weigh about 3 pounds. The catch is that this weight does not include the CD/DVD drive (an external drive on those kinds of laptops).

16. todbnla

todbnla Screenwriter

Todd
    We have a Dell Inspiron 8200 too. We LOVE IT.
    It's heavy like a tank.
    I paid around $1500 for 1.6 P4 256ram, 15in lcd, high end video card.
    Besides what other brand can you find a software program to contol your fan cooling speeds?
    Only a Dell's!
    Widely used and for a reason. [​IMG]
    PS-If I had $3k I would get an Apple too or two of these [​IMG]

17. Darren Lewis

Darren Lewis Supporting Actor

My Sony VAIO gives great DVD playback and all round performance (it's a P3-850 PCG-FX205K). I've upgraded the RAM to 256Mb and it runs nice and fast. It came with WinDVD 2.3 installed for the DVD playback and Windows 2000 Pro for the OS. My only bug is that it has recovery CDs rather than the original Windows 2000 discs, so I'd have to upgrade to WinXP rather than doing a clean install with the upgrade version and putting the original CD in the drive when the install prog looks for the older version. The recovery CDs also install all the pre-installed stuff including NAV 2001, which is a pain as I now have NAV 2002. Not sure if DELL give you the original CDs or recovery image CDs.

We've got hundreds of DELL desktops at work on a huge network and they always seem to be reliable.

18. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

IBM ThinkPad's are great, especially the T series. They're built very well, better than anything I've seen (I've played with Dell's Inspiron 8200, 8100, 4100, 4000, 2600, 2650, Latitude C600, C810, Toshiba's Satellite, Sat Pro, Portege, Tecra, Compaq's Armada E500, E700, E300, M700, EVO, Prosignia 170, 190, Presario 720, 1700, 2800, Apple's iBook, Titanium Powerbook, IBM T series, A series, R series, and X series). They have the best keyboards of the lot and are very durable. My wife and I can both stand on the titanium casing and not kill the thing.