What's new

Which Kids rooms DVD player to get? (Progressive?) (1 Viewer)

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
I went out searching for a low end dvd player for the kids room and remember seeing some in the $40 range made by APEX. After checking Sam's and Wal-Mart, I stopped by My local Sears. To my surprise they had the following two good offers:

APEX Model AD-1225 for $39.99:
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...id=05757123000

OR

Koss Model KD-365 for $47.49 WITH Progressive scan!!:D

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=ELEC&pid=05757143000[/url]

I went with the APEX but have not opened it yet...What do you guys think?

PLMK

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
With cheap higher quality and reliablity DVD players from JVC and Panasonic, there is no need to buy a poor reliablity Apex model.

David Judah

Screenwriter
I agree with Don. You can get the JVC for around $20 more than the Apex and have a much more reliable player.

DJ

Sean^M

Stunt Coordinator
I wouldn't own an APEX if it were given to me free of charge.
They are the DVD player equal to Pyramid in the car audio world.
Reliability is horrid.

newegg.com had that new Liteon model for $150.
That offers 1080i upscaling and all. If you got that, you could probably even give the kids whatever you're using now, unless you have a pretty high end unit yourself.

Devin U

Second Unit
I was wondering about this too. Does anyone know of a player without front panel buttons or a button lock out switch to keep kids from ejecting and handeling the discs? I kinda looked at the disney model at Target, but it didnt seem to have anything like that.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
I thought that almost ALL DVD Players could be locked out from opening the drawer by entering the Service Menu if it doesn't have it as a user feature, because isn't that what the stores do so you can't fool with the dvd's inside the players? If no one answers about this I would post a seperate question about it. I agree with everyone else, take the Apex back & get a name brand player especially seeing little hands will probably break it quicker than anyone else. A few weeks ago one small chain here had the Panasonic 35 for $59.99 after a $20.00 mail in rebate which means name brands can be found for under $60.00 if you look around.

David Judah

Screenwriter
Most all manufacturers have tray lock codes, but they change from time to time, and they don't usually tell consumers what they are. Panasonic is the only one I know that has stayed consistent and not required you to jump through hoops to access it.

Press Stop on the unit and Power on the remote. Hold them down for a few seconds and the tray will lock and unlock on Panasonic DVD players. I haven't tried it on the latest generation of Matsushita players but it does work on previous models.

DJ

Bill Will

Screenwriter
David, I just checked RCA's website Link Removed (Because I have a Proscan DVD & it does have that feature) & they have one that's progressive scan & it has the lock out feature for both customer & store. The model is DRC230N & RCA has it priced at $89 so I'm sure it can be found cheaper but I have no idea what the picture quality is like. I also checked a few other RCA models & they all seem to have it. I would try a seperate post on this because I think you would get a lot of answers.

Drew_W

Screenwriter
Like Sean said, this smells like an opportunity to UPGRADE! It's these little things that get big projects started. :D

David Judah

Screenwriter
I wish all manufacturers would give consumers access to that type of information in the owner's manual like RCA does, Bill. After all, as long as they made it a different sequence of buttons from the service menu, they wouldn't have to worry about customers accidently causing problems with their players.

DJ

Sean^M

Stunt Coordinator
happen to know any other nice unlisted features for panasonics?
*takes notes*
haha

for the kids' room maybe a cabinet with a glass/plastic front pane would be the key.. one that locks.
then you can lock them and their little hands out of all of the AV stuff in their room, and get one of those universal hard button remotes from radio shack to handle the usage of the units. the remotes are cheap, colorful, have large buttons, and are moderately bulletproof (Itza remotes)
just another option to ponder.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
For my son's room I went with a combo player. A discontinued Sylvania model for 100 bucks open box. Progressive scan, S-VHS quasi playback. It depends on what recording/playback medium you are still in. For me I still record the Wiggles, (my son is 2) as well as Justice League and Jimmy Neutron. He loves them all and I can play it on his player even shows recorded on S-VHS or using the S-VHS ET mode. It does DVD very well also of course and the reason I mention this is perhaps you want the best from both worlds that way the selections are much more extensive with both as oppose to the one. I caught some good VHS sales like Bob the Builder, Elmopalooza etc, for about 2.00 a video tape used. Quality the kids never look for just the content.

Eric Stuckey

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric Stuckey
Maybee its the 4:40 AM talking...but why would you want a progrissve scan for your kids room? Just woundering.

George Ulerio

Auditioning
I totally agree. I bought the same Apex for my kid at BestBuy a few months ago for $45.00. He is a good kid but I know one day he is going to get too excited watching Spy Kids and it's gonna get kicked to the floor. Not sure a higher quality player can take the kind of pain any better. If I get a year out of it, I'll be happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks