Which Kef set up should i go with?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by David?P, Mar 16, 2004.

1. David?P

David?P Agent

i made a post in the recievers forum, sorry i cant link (but its listed under what reciever i should buy), and would like to know which of these 2 Kef setups would sound better

1st set up:
    KHT2005MK2SL ($470) and the PSW2150 ($292) sub

2nd set up
    4 of the Q1 series ($265, per pair), Q10CBL ($350), and the PSW2150

2. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

the second one. but what's that center?

3. David?P

David?P Agent

to be honest with you, i dont know. it was wierd because i didnt see it on the Kef site, but it has 3 speakers in it.

4. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

the center channel that matches the Q1s is the Q9c. it has one UniQ driver that's identical to the Q1s. you may want to try for 5 Q1s if the dealer will sell you that odd one as a single. someone posted here recently that had gotten 5 Q1s, and he was very happy with the sound.

5. David?P

David?P Agent

do you think it would be worth the extra $130 for the q10cbl or should i just stick with the q9cbl?

and which reciever should i go with it?

6. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

the Q10c (the bl just designates the color; black) is a brand new speaker that isn't even on the KEF website yet, but i found a pic, HERE. the Q11 is also a new one, btw.

IMO, the Q10c, with that many drivers in it, is made to compliment the larger floorstanding speakers, especially that new Q11.

I recently bought floorstanding Q5 fronts, Q1s for the rear, and a Q9c center that matches nicely. it's a matter of personal preference, i suppose. if you want that strong center, then maybe the Q10c is for you.

but, i'm pretty certain the best match for Q1s would be the Q9c. in fact, it's a perfect match; it has the same single uniQ driver. that's why i suggested getting a fifth Q1, if possible.

btw, how much will you be using this system for music vs. ht? and what sorts of music do you listen to?

7. David?P

David?P Agent

i mostly will be using the system for HT. i never listen to music unless im at my computer or in my car, but i listen to everything from punk to rap

8. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

then the fifth q1's not so important, i guess. get a q9c if you want an almost identical match; get the q10c if you want the extra drivers for stronger dialogue, etc.. i can tell you that they were offering that smaller center, q6c, with a single 5.25" driver, before the Qcompact and Q4 (both of which also have 5.25" drivers) were available, as another smaller compliment, i suppose, to the Q1s and Q3s. the Q9c was, for a long time, the sole matching center channel available for the Q1s, Q3s, Q5s, or Q7s.

9. John Chow

John Chow Second Unit

I would suggest getting another pair of Q1s instead of the Q9C, since it's actually cheaper, according to the prices you listed above. This would also give you a chance to add a 6th channel later if you wanted. I'm hoping their center channel design has improved, and it looks like it has since the freq response is much better, but in the older Q setup, the center Q95 was definitely the weak point.

Also, not sure about the sub, you may want to look at another brand that may be better. Matching the sub isn't very important. I'd say go SVS, but don't know if that's in your budget or not. Either way, I'd do more research on that sub to make sure it will fit your needs, especially if you'll primarily be doing HT with this setup.

10. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

2 Q1s are more than 1 Q9c, but it's still not a bad idea. although that Q10c will be a a stronger center than either a Q1 or a Q9c.

11. David?P

David?P Agent

i heard the Kef sub and it seemed pretty nice for the money, but they also have a 12" JBL sub, E250P for $220. the SVS is out of my price range

12. Jesse Sharrow

Jesse Sharrow Supporting Actor

The kefs are an alright sub. I would stick with the kef if you cant afford an SVS. The cheapest SVS is about $600 shipped. The 2150 is the 10" right? I think you will be happy with 4 Q1's and the Q9c. They are a great speaker.

Now another thing to think about. If you want go listen to the XQ's. Becuase for your budget you could proably get a pair of XQ3's or XQ5's with no sub, center, or surrounds for now. Then later on get the rest. But since you dont listen to alot of music that may not be a great idea. But I think once you get the XQ's in your house you will start listening to music more often. [​IMG]

13. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

[​IMG]

omg

XQ5 = $3000/pr
    XQ3 = $2000/pr
    XQ1 = $1500/pr
    XQ2c = $1200

4 Q1s and a Q9c = $1250 total w/out a sub

the XQs DO sound great, though.

[​IMG]

(damnit, you just put a huge bug in my ear [​IMG] )

14. Bob*S

Bob*S Stunt Coordinator

I lust after the XQ series in the Maranello Red finish. I'd redecorate a room just to have them in that color. [​IMG]

Bob

15. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

i'm so tempted to take my Q5/Q1/Q9c setup back and do just what jesse said; get the XQ5s. heh.

16. Robert Cowan

Robert Cowan Supporting Actor

chances are, if you are unhappy with your current KEFs, the XQ's wont remedy the situation. you might need to just look around a bit more.

Scott, nice meeting you the other day [​IMG]

17. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

"puzzled" is a better word

[​IMG]

18. David?P

David?P Agent

so which of these following recievers should i go with on the 4 Q1's, Q9C and PSW2150?

HK AVR630 $700
    HK AVR430 $550

Onkyo TXNR801 $550
    Onkyo TXSR701 $465

Denon AVR3803 $675

or should i go with somethign smaller?

i really like the looks of the HKs, but i would rather go for sound quality and performance, but my bro is stating that HK is garbage and i should go with the denon. he also states that i should go with something that has Video up conversion.

19. Bob*S

Bob*S Stunt Coordinator

David-

The HKs are not garbage and, in fact, are one of the few receivers that make their stated power rating.

I've auditioned a Q1/Q9 system driven by a Denon and found it to be a very good match (in fact, I may go this route except with a 3805). The KEF speakers are really smooth through the mid-range but don't have as much sizzle in the highs as some other brands. I'd personally wonder if the warm-sounding HK receiver might make the KEFs sound a bit dull.

See if you can't try them the speakers out driven by each receiver.

Bob

20. Guy Rogers

Guy Rogers Auditioning

Hi,

I am moving to Canada shortly and as a result will have to get a new hifi (the down points of no dual voltage equipment).

On the plus side I am considering the following setup.

KEF - Q7, Q9c, Q2ds x2 pair, PSW2500
    (or alternatively as they are available in the US) KEF - Q11, Q10c, Q2ds x2 pair, PSW4000

Combined with either :

Yamaha RX Z9
    Pioneer VSX-59TXi

Does anyone have any pro/con experiences ?

Does any one know any dealers for these either stores or online ? If any are in Canada that would be a bonus !

Also does any one know where I can get a DENON DVD-2900, but a Multi region version, something quite easy to obtain in the UK, but I am not sure where I can get one in the US/CA with the right voltage. Again any physical stores or online ?

Many thanks

Guy