Which Jurassic Park DVD is superior: dts or dd?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DaleI, Nov 9, 2001.

1. DaleI

DaleI Stunt Coordinator

Before I get it thru Columbia House: Which Jurassic park (the original movie) dvd is better? The DTS disk or the DD two-disk set? I'm not interested in the added toys on the disks, just soundtrack experience. What's your opinion?
    Dale

2. Bill Gato

Bill Gato Stunt Coordinator

Dale,
    If you use the search function, you will find, literally, hundreds of posts which will answer your that very question.
    But, in the interest of saving you some time, I have to tell you that the DTS Jurassic Park is one of my favorite reference discs to use when showing off my meager home theater.
    The first non-DTS version I owned (before shipping it back to Universal for their DTS disc) sounded okay, but the DTS Jurassic Park will blow out the walls in your home.
    No contest, get the DTS version.
    ------------------
    Bill the Cat

3. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    I am not usually a big advocator of DTS, but in this case, the DTS version simply ROCKS, and I mean that both figurativly AND litterally!
    But beware of the defective version!
    The first run of the DTS version had an aniemic LFE channel, but Universal did another pressing of the corrected version. I believe you can tell by a series of numbers around the center hole in the disc, the Corrected version reads D2R2. You have to look really hard to see it, and the real bad thing, you won't know which one you have until you open it, and look at the disc.
    To be perfectly honest, with this title, I wouldn't get it through Columbia house. So many members here have said that it took them a couple of tries before they got the right DTS version, so you might save yourself a major headache if you just try to get this one from a store, that way, if you need to return it, it's easier.
    Accept no substitutes! If you get the wrong one, you may put it in and say to yourself "It sounds great!" Well, as great as you may think that one sounds, it's NOTHING compared to the corrected version!
    ------------------
    To the men and women of the N.Y. police and fire department
    God bless you.
    To the victims and their families
    God keep you.
    To the dirtbags who caused all this
    God help you!!!
    [Edited last by John Williamson on November 09, 2001 at 08:55 AM]

4. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

5. DaleI

DaleI Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the correction; the Columbia House website claims it's a two disk item.

6. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink
    I prefer the DD version (which is indeed only a single disc). It has more features that the DTS version, and it sounds excellent.

7. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson
    Carl, far be it for me to defend DTS, and believe me, I can't believe i'm doing it myself, but please tell me your kidding! I've heard back to back comparisons of both and the DTS track buries the DD track hands down! That is undisputed by many here.
    ------------------
    God bless you.
    God keep you.
    God help you!!!
    [Edited last by John Williamson on November 09, 2001 at 09:14 AM]

8. Tom-G

Tom-G Screenwriter

Tom G
    If you get the corrected DTS version, there is no comparison. It doesn't matter how many extras the Dolby Digital version has, movie presentation is most important and the DTS version is simply awesome.
    ------------------
    As for the bad rap about the characters--hey, I've seen space operas that put their emphasis on human personalities and relationships. They're called "Star Trek" movies. Give me transparent underwater cities and vast hollow senatorial spheres any day. --Roger Ebert on The Phantom Menace
    AIM: Aureus91 / DVDs / ICQ: 58566493

9. Robert George

Robert George Screenwriter

I agree with the other guys. The soundtrack master used for the second pressing of the DTS DVD is a much more involving track. In my opinion, the one that should have been used for all versions. If you can find a copy of the second pressing, definitely get the DTS version.

10. Adam_WM

Adam_WM Screenwriter

I'm just going to get the Jurassic Park Trilogy Box Set. But regardless, I don't even have a Home Theater System! Just a DVD Player! I DON'T EVEN HAVE DTS! [​IMG]

11. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink
    quote: Carl, far be it for me to defend DTS, and believe me, I can't believe i'm doing it myself, but please tell me your kidding! I've heard back to back comparisons of both and the DTS track buries the DD track hands down! That is undisputed by many here.[/quote]
    My kidding? Certainly not!
    John, I said nothing to the contrary. In fact, I didn't say anything at all about the way the DTS version sounds. All I said was that the DD version sounds excellent, and you know what? I think it does.
    I'm a big fan of "Jurassic Park," and I watch it fairly often. Currently, it's always with my DD DVD of the movie. It's a wholly enjoyable experience. I don't have any problems with it. Never have I been watching the movie and thought to myself, "you know, this experience is really lacking."
    What anyone else says about one version "burying" another is irrelevent. It's simply not an issue. When I want to watch "Jurassic Park," I simply pop the DD disc into my DVD player and have no complaints.
    That being the case, I'll always side with the version that has more supplemental features.
    [Edited last by Carl Fink on November 09, 2001 at 12:34 PM]

12. JasonKrol

JasonKrol Supporting Actor

but...the original question was which version sounded better...
    ------------------
    - Jason
    My DVD Collection | My Home Theater
    "what ya got here is two people dragging a third..."

13. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    The corrected dts version has so much more bass than the defective dts version. The extras lost on the dts version is so minimal compared to the DD version and the presentation so good on the dts that to me, it makes sense to get the dts version, plus it has the little dts trailer.
    ------------------
    http://webhome.idirect.com/~orange1
    ------------------
    My Favourite DVD's

14. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson
    Carl, that's fine, but for me, i'll take quality of presentation over extra's everytime.
    Also, have you HEARD the DTS version? Because if you did, you'd drop that DD version like a bad habit.
    ------------------
    God bless you.
    God keep you.
    God help you!!!

15. Dave H

Dave H Producer

I used to have the DD version and did A-B comparisons with the corrected DTS version. The result: NO COMPARISON.
    Get the corrected DTS!

16. Tom-G

Tom-G Screenwriter

Tom G

17. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

The corrected DTS version is TOPS!!! Very powerful and musical/tight bass. Much more like the superb DTS laserdisc of yore.
    Dan
    ------------------
    Stop HDCP and 5C-- Your rights are at risk!

18. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton
    Another vote for the DTS version! I have had all 3(DD,DTS and corrected DTS)and the corrected DTS version is by far the best. I just got my corrected version last week from Universal. I had loved my DD version UNTIL i heard the corrected DTS. WOW! it is awesome. I use this disc to demo my dual SVS 25-31's. Dale, I believe you said you didn't care about the extras so that makes the new DTS version a no-brainer. Enjoy!

19. PerryD

PerryD Supporting Actor

Without having to read through pages of old threads, is it true that you could determine the corrected DTS by the red box around the specs? I was at Best Buy today and saw two different spec border colors (red & black, I believe) on their DTS JPs.

20. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

Re: the correct version of JP DTS, following is from the official Universal statement posted in theDigitalBits early August:
    "The newer, current version can be identified by the code D2R2 and will contain a red technical grid on the back of the packaging as part of the running change. "
    I sent in my D2R1 DTS on Oct 30 via USPS with delivery confirmation, and recieved the D2R2 today (will test it tonight), from the packing slip, it looked like it was packed to go on 11/2, so the turn around is real fast.
    I understand that people that sent in their DVD while the subject was HOT (early August this year) waited for as long as 10 weeks to get their replacement, I suspect that's because Universal has not yet gotten the process totally in place, right now, it just seemed to be a no brainer.