What's new

Which JBL subwoofer for my HT: PB10 or PB12? (1 Viewer)

Joseph Hansen

Stunt Coordinator
I am currently putting together my speaker system, and am leaning heavily towards JBL Studio Series speakers (it's not carved in stone yet, but it is the favorite right now). My lineup is looking like this:
S-Center for the center
S26 for the mains
PB10 or PB12 for the subwoofer
I originally thought about S38 or S36 speakers for the mains this year, but am now considering something smaller, in hopes they can be moved to the rear next year. At that time, I will probably replace the S26 mains with S310s. I figure (correct me if I am wrong) that this will be an adequate setup for listening to music 25%, and watching movies 75%.
Given the S26 as mains for a year, would I be better off with the PB10 or PB12 (ignoring the reliability issue on the PB10)? Conversely, looking at this setup in the long-term, would the PB10 or PB12 better match the S310?
Thanks for any and all input,
Joseph

Greg Br

Second Unit
I think JBL has resolved the reliabilty issues in the latest PB'S and without a doubt you would be much happier with the PB12. That would be a good setup for watching movies, actually it will make you very happy, I had a similar setup and I know that I was.

David_Stein

Second Unit
Real Name
David_Stein
ive have the pb10, its a nice sub (for the small room i have) and all, but i really wish i had the money to get the pb12.

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
reliability issues should definitly be solved by now.
Saw the PB10 for $188 and the PB12 for $249 at http://www.bestpriceaudiovideo.com/
I suggest getting the bigger PB12 because:
100 more watts rms
25 hz instead of the 27hz PB10
Deeper, beefier sounding bass
I did listen to both of them at BB with music and movie applications and I honestly could not see a "significant" difference. If you're into saving money then I'd have no problem going for the PB10 and saving $60. Maybe the PB12 is overkill and you'll end up liking the PB10 better...
I think your system will be great for movies, especially since you won't be breaking the bank.

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
why not go with the Sony WM40 for $150. This sub is very well like here in this forum. Go to audioreview.com to look at some of the reviews. Just because you will have JBL speakers does not mean you have to get a JBL sub. I have the Sony and I love it.

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
Here are the user ratings for the three subs mentioned from www.audioreview.com:
JBL PB10 4.08 out of 5 88 reviews
JBL PB12 4.20 out of 5 90 reviews
Sony WM40 4.62 out of 5 268 reviews $150
The sony got better reviews and its even less money than the PB10. You could almost get 2 Sony subs for the price of the PB12.
I think its obvious which is the better sub.

Greg Br

Second Unit
I have never had a problem with mine(since sold to firnd to upgrade to SVS), but I think its safe to say if the amp dies like most of these describe then it does in short order and could be returned. I still believe that the amp has been fixed in the newest models. You will be sacraficing some bass with the Sony, but id is more reliable. I have listened to both and no doubt in my mind that the JBL is better performer.

Also take these reviews with a grain of salt, the first one I read said the JBL is nice but realy does not compare with friends Velodynes or a DIY sub, well it should not compare to those, but at the $250 price point there is nothing better, infact the next best performer IMO is at $399.

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
Greg Br has a good point. But once you buy the PB12 you 'll have to pay for shipping too which would put the price right around $300. I personally could not justify paying twice the price of the Sony sub for a little better performance. Just my .02. Its your system, do what you want. Just make sure you've weighed all you options.

~paul

Greg Br

Second Unit
Good point, but where is that $150 coming from sears so you will have tax, I bought mine with 5 other things so shipping was all wrapped into one for like $50. If I am paying $300 I think I would go without a sub for a while till I got to $400 and then you would have a few more options. Actually what I would do is wait till a 25-31pc is on B-stock or used from a member and then get the best deal I could, maybe around $450, we should see some come up with the new PCI series, and then you are looking at twice the performance of the JBL or Sony. I truely belive the sub makes the theater, you can go cheap with the sat's but have a great sub and be very happy.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
JBL PB10 4.08 out of 5 88 reviews
Paul,
I would certainly take the reviews at audio review with a grain of salt (I've seen MANY ridiculous reviews given to great gear due to the incompetence of the user), nor would I ever use it to determine which of "anything" is better. From my experience, the JBL PB-12 is much better for music than the Sony is. The PB-12 also dips lower in frequency and is a little heavier. Right now, you can get FREE SHIPPING from J&R on all JBL products, meaning you could save a great deal on the heavy PB-12. I do agree that the Sony is currently the best sub FOR THE MONEY (sub $200.00). However, neither of these great subs are the best under $500.00. My choice would either be the Adaire ($400.00) or the Velodyne VTF sub ($450.00). I think if you compared either of these two subs to the Sony or JBL, the difference would be night and day.
Reg
:emoji_thumbsup:

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
I totally agree with you Reggie. I just wish I had enough for an SVS. I guess we can all agree thats the best sub for the money. :emoji_thumbsup:

John_Bilbrey

Second Unit
Any opinions on the JBL PSWD112? I think it's the predecessor to the PB12. harmanaudio.com has it for $152, and the PB12 for $248, they are reman'd but still have full factory warranty.

Legairre

Supporting Actor
I have two PSWD112s running of my LFE signal. Great subs if you get the refurbs. That way the new amp will probably be in them. The older ones had problems with the amps blowing. I've been pretty lucky. 2 years and no problems(knock on wood). I also use 2 PB10s as surround subs through the speaker level connections.

John_Bilbrey

Second Unit
Did they do a redesign on the amps in these? I emailed harmanaudio but didn't get any help from their customer service gurus. They "have no idea" of what is done to the reman'd pieces.

Legairre

Supporting Actor
I'm not sure if they did a redesign or just threw a new amp in place of the old one and said "well maybe this one will last longer"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks