What's new

Which JBL center? (N, S, EC25) (1 Viewer)

Nick-G

Agent
Which of these three center channels would go best with a my N24's? Obviously the N-Center, but I hear it is not a very good speaker. Would the S-Center or the EC25 be a better investment? The S is a little cheaper, but is not the same series, so how much should this affect my decision? Thanks!

Shane K

Agent
Either speaker would work okay but good luck finding the S center anywhere. Ideally that would be the better speaker since it has better drivers but the N center or EC25 would mate better w/ the N24's since they'll use the same tweeter. Interestingly the N and E series stuff is very similar and I personally haven't heard of one sounding better than the other.

Do you plan on upgrading to other fronts? You may want to place this into consideration in decided which center to get. Otherwise any of the three should work fine if you'll be sticking w/ the N24's.

Kinger

Nick-G

Agent
I guess my main questions are: is the EC25 an improvement over tne N-Center (for anyone who has owned both) and will the S-Center sound odd with Northridge speakers? I've done a search and have seen that some people say not to mix the two series and others say that it does not make a difference. I guess I was just hoping that someone would convince me one way or the other. Thanks for the replies!

JasonMA

Stunt Coordinator
I have heard both the N and the EC centers and they are very close in sound in my opinion. I currently have the N center and it doesn't disappoint. I too have it matched up with N24's all around and for the money these speakers can't be beat. If you can get an N center into your house to listen to it before you buy, I'm sure you'll be amazed at how good it can sound.

Also, if style scores any points with you, the N Center's shape looks alot nicer on top of a TV than the EC25. Just a little something to think about, especially with the infamous W.A.F.

Jeff smit

Agent
Nick also remember that all these answers are opinions and what ever works for you is all that matters, And for the EC25 looking off in the style points, I find it the other way around that the n center is lacking in style points as you do not see a huge percent of centers with curved tops. I beleive the EC25 center will still be in style in a couple of years as they will still make it. Buying the N center will just buy you a dated look. IMHO

JasonMA

Stunt Coordinator
Well, to each his own. The "box" look of a center channel has always been something that bothers me about center channels, especially when placing then on top of a TV. They do however look better when placed on a shelf below the TV or even on a stand in front of it.

Don't get me wrong though becuase I think that "style" comes second place to performance, and I will certainly take a better sounding center than a better looking one. However, in this case I believe that we are talking about 2 speakers with similar performance, and in that case, I would choose the one that goes better in a particular HT. If you have a lot of curves and rounded edges in your HT enviornment, then the N center would look better. If you have a more "boxy" and linear look in your HT, than go with th EC.

Nick-G

Agent
Thanks for the replies! I think the EC25 would look better in my HT, but if they both sound the same then I don't know if I can justify spending $70 more for something that might look a little better. Thanks again

larry mac

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
larry mac
My first center channel speaker was a JBL J center, I think I got it in '97 from Circuit City for $135. I still use it today and have always been very happy with it. It is relatively small, but well built. I have never had a problem with dialogue, yet it doesn't overpower. Sounds pretty decent in 5 channel stereo also.

I got another one off ebay recently for only $41 including shipping for my bedroom system. It looks and sounds like new.

BTW, the titanium tweeters match perfectly with the ones in my JBL 2800's and 2600's.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks