What's new

Which Jaws LD has 2 hour Documentary? (1 Viewer)

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
Actually the discs are referred to the "Signature Series", and the LD is the only place to find the original mono soundtrack. (Just like the Star Wars fanboys decry the lack of availabilty of the original versions on the forthcoming DVD's, many Jaws enthusiasts cried foul when the original mono soundtrack was not included on the DVD's)

Here are the full spec's on the 4-disc LD package:

http://www.blam1.com/Universal/42583SC.htm

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Also, it's inluded on both the CAV and CLV variations. (IIRC, the CAV box adds a copy of the novel and soundtrack).

Great doc. Now if I could only get my hands on the Frighteners Signature Series ;)

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
The CAV box set was also the first video version of Jaws to have the real original soundtrack. All previous versions had different source music at the start of the beach scene where Alex Kitner was killed.

Neil

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I know this is kind of funny to say here in the age of DVD, but the CAV box set has really fantastic picture quality.

Real Name
Anthony
It still makes me crazy that they edited this down for the DVD :angry: Why did they do it ??!

I'd love to see the full version.

Justin Bauer

Supporting Actor
I have always thought about purchasing this boxset...would it be worth it since I already have the DVD or am I not missing anything?

Dave H

Senior HTF Member

Jaws should have been a two disc release. I don't like how so many extras are on the same side as the movie, but this is a common practice from this incompetent studio.

Reagan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reagan

Agreed. I won't buy it until it's done right. And that also includes the original monaural soundtrack, complete documentary, and all of the deleted scenes. Until that day, I'll work on getting my hands on the laserdisc box set. And a laserdisc player.

It's not that the current release of Jaws looks bad (I watched a library copy), it's just that it could have looked significantly better if they had done it right (2 disc style).

-Reagan

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor

The documentary is twice as long, and there's a couple of extra outtakes NOT on the DVD (including Quint yelling at his first mate!).

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Today it would be, but in 2000, 2-discers were much less common. Uni didn't think it was worth the extra effort, obviously, but that was pretty much in line with the DVD marketplace of the era...

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Colin,

That is true about other studios, but Universal still often only releases single discs. The only two disc DVD of Universal I own is Cape Fear (Deniro) and E.T. (which would have been one disc if it weren't for Spielberg forcing the original release on the collector's edition). Many other Universal titles off the top of my head that came out after 2000 include American Werewolf in London, Sea of Love: SE, American Pie and Wedding movies, tons of 80's teen comedies, this list goes on and on.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

But the difference is that I don't think Uni produced ANY 2-disc sets back in 2000 and before that time. They do now produce 2-DVD packages like The Hulk and... well, probably some others too! I must admit that since they no longer send screeners, I don't pay much attention to their product...

Dave H

Senior HTF Member

Other than a title or two, I can't think of any. They are still not producing many 2-disc DVDs compared to other studios (Artisan.... and Paramount kind of slim still - but getting better).

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Here are some Universal 2-discers I know of (for the heck of it).

- Hulk
- E.T.
- Scarface
- A Beautiful Mind
- Cape Fear
- Red Dragon
- The "Ultimate Edition" line

And that's about it. Still pretty few titles so I doubt they would've put out a 2-disc release of Jaws the first time. I wouldn't mind them continuing the Ultimate Edition line with a 2-disc version of this with the full doc.

Reagan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reagan
I finally got my hands on the laserdisc box set of Jaws and watched the documentary. I finally got to see all of the parts that never made it to the shortened DVD documentary with one exception (based on the DVDfile list):

* A brief discussion of shooting the underwater opening POV shots, only to discover that the filmmakers had in fact 20 minutes of very visible "beaver" shots of actress Susan Backlinie that had to be darkened to hide the naughty bits.

I couldn't find this anywhere. Was this written as a joke by DVDfile? If not, where is it in the documentary?

-Reagan

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

i wonder what them sending screeners has to do with you paying attention to their products.

if a movie by uni comes on dvd that you like, you wont buy it because they dont send you the screener?
or is it deeper then that?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks