What's new

Which is your favorite online DVD rental site? (1 Viewer)

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I read a few other threads on this topic, but I thought I'd post a poll and see what you all think.
After many discussions in which I've promised to rent Hedwig or Session 9, I've realized that my local Tower is sorely lacking in the selection department. Since I refuse to give Nickel One to Blockbuster, I've decided to look to an online source.
But here's the thing: I'm looking for a 'pay-per-rental' sort of plan. Some months I'll be able to rent 8 movies, but when things get busy round here - I'll be lucky to rent 2 a month. Since I'll have inconsistent rental habits, I'd rather pay for my rentals 'a la carte'.
(If you're someone who uses a monthly plan, please feel free to chime in with your opinion as well. If the single-rental idea doesn't pan out, I'll definitely be using a 'full plan' as a backup.)
I've briefly checked out the following:
Netflix
RentMyDVD
DVD Overnight
NumberSlate
DVD Avenue
CafeDVD
QwikFlicks
Feel free to mention any I may have overlooked, and thanks for the assistance.
I really wanna see Hedwig and Session 9...and The Thin Man. :)

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
I've tried the following over the years.

Netflix
RentMyDVD
DVD Overnight
NumberSlate

I think DVD overnight is the only one you can pay per rental vs. monthly plan. That might be your best option. I was happy the few times I used them. I don't think their selection is as good as netflix though.

I'm back with netflix because they have a shipping hub in the midwest now.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
I've only tried Netflix (member since April 2000) and RentMyDVD. I think Jim is right, RentMyDVD is the only one who will rent DVD's on a per disc basis. I found their service adequate the few times that I used them.

Netflix is still pretty good overall, but the number of DVD's that are constantly "out of stock" can really be frustrating!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Scott, don't forget, even though Netflix is a membership thing you can sign up for just a month or two and then dump it. For some reason, with the monthly membership people subconsciously think long term. I have been on NetFlix for about four months and will be dropping it in about 10 days.

RentmyDVD and DVD Overnight both rent by the DVD. Overnight has the worst selection of the three and Netflix has the best. what I do is sign up on Netflix periodically for a few months and fill in the rest with local rentals with single mail rentals where needed.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Good advice John. Netflix was the only rental site that had both Series 7 AND Session 9, the two films that predicated my search for alternate rental methods.
I think I'll opt for their 'cheap deal' which I think runs $15 a month.
Since I'm too lazy to search for another thread, can you tell me how the shipping runs (time-wise) to somewhere like good ol' Philly?

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Ack. Bad news on two fronts:
A. Netflix seems to have 'remembered' me, which is weird cuz I was a member over a year ago...and only for 2 months. (Therefore I get no 'Free Trial'.)
B. Unless I'm insane, there is no '$15.00/2 DVDs at a time' option.
Oh well, I'll rent a bunch I want, pay for a month, and maybe quit. (I'm getting TiVo and digital cable soon, so I won't have much time for rentals soon!) :emoji_thumbsup:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yeah, Netflix dumped the 2 movie level, which was $13.95. Unfortunately for them, that is the difference between possibly keeping me a little longer and losing me.
I both understand and don't understand your refusal to go to Blockbuster. There is one right down the street from me and I am currently on their DVD Pass, which is two DVDs out at a time and rent as many as you want. It is only $18/mo on a credit card and is just pretty cool. I make sure they know I don't like full screen. sometimes I intentionally look for a full screen disc so I can bring it back and complain. "What? You don't have any widescreen copies?" That is actually harder than you would think. There are very few titles they carry P&S where there is a widescreen version available.
BTW. Scary movies don't scare me, but Session 9 had me turning the lights on and closing doors. That hasn't happened in more years than I can remember.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks