What's new

Which is worse, verticle banding or "rainbow effect?" (1 Viewer)

Jason Keis

Grip
I'm trying to decide on either the Panasonic 500u (vertical banding, hardly any screendoor effect) and the Benq 8700 (hardly any rainbow effect but you never know)....

What would YOU choose?

Jason

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Its not that easy. Some things like screen door effect, peak-a-boo scanlines/screendoor or vertical banding can be distracting but tolerable and tweakable to minimize their annoyance. Rainbow effect is different. Either you don't see them and they don't bother you or you see them and/or get headaches watching DLP projector. Some people say they get used to them. I find rainbows give me a headache.

Jason Keis

Grip
Thanks for the response.

Now many people have said the BenQ 8700 is fast enough that the rainbow effect is not noticeable... it's 5x I think.

If that's the case, then I guess the 8700 is the one to get.

Jason

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
...but the bottom line is see one in action for yourself or buy from somewhere with a 100% return policy if you have problems with it.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
...but the bottom line is see one in action for yourself or buy from somewhere with a 100% return policy if you have problems with it.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
You may see them, or may not see them. No way to know without demo-ing one. I see them on my 2x X1 only on white on black. Planning on an upgrade to a 4x next year, perhaps (when I have more cash). Couldn't see them on a 5x wheel during a quick demo of an expensive Marantz.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
You may see them, or may not see them. No way to know without demo-ing one. I see them on my 2x X1 only on white on black. Planning on an upgrade to a 4x next year, perhaps (when I have more cash). Couldn't see them on a 5x wheel during a quick demo of an expensive Marantz.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks